Receiver: slow motion not working

The place to discuss all things Receiver.
amuddypizza

Receiver: slow motion not working

Post by amuddypizza » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:37 pm

Hello... I preordered Overgrowth and thus got Receiver, and it works fine in every way except the slo-mo cheat code... The others work fine, but this one won't. When I'm playing, I type in the code and get the ridiculous grunt, but pressing "tab" doesn't engage the slomo... I've tried changing the input keys in the launcher, and it still doesn't work.
I'm playing on a Macbook Pro, version 10.7.4, mid-2010.

Anyone got any ideas/fixes?
Thanks ahead of time!

berq

Re: Receiver: slow motion not working

Post by berq » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:04 am

Weird. The only thing I can see that's wrong with your setup is that you're playing on a Mac. :wink:
I'm trolling a bit, but I'm partially serious as well. I believe the Mac key code for "Tab" is different than PCs, as is the overall process of detecting keys. In modifying code to work on a Mac, that would be an easy programming change to miss, as it doesn't affect essential gameplay.

Here's a taste what you're missing:
I start a new game with a revolver and activate slowmo. The next room is a large, open square. A hover drone from the far side starts charging me. I aim and pull the trigger 4 times - all clicks. Opening the cylinder reveals it wasn't loaded! I load in 6 bullets, close the cylinder, re-aim, fire 3 more shots, and take down the drone right before it hits me. Slowmo is crazy slow, definitely feels like cheating, and potentially makes you feel really cool as well. But in reality I never think to use it.

Also, I was so happy to see someone else that knows "ridiculous" doesn't have an "e" in it.

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:59 am

Make sure you have the most up to date build of the game. On RC5 there was an issue with the slow motion, but on RC6 it seems to be working again. Do you have all the new gun content? That was all released at RC6.

berq wrote:I'm trolling a bit, but I'm partially serious as well. I believe the Mac key code for "Tab" is different than PCs, as is the overall process of detecting keys.
This is incorrect, and "tab" works fine on my Mac. Without any of this unwarranted or unwanted prejudice.

berq

Post by berq » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:37 pm

Anton wrote:This is incorrect, and "tab" works fine on my Mac.
This is entirely possible. I'm dangerously ignorant on a fantastic number of subjects. Your suggestion that amuddypizza makes sure to run RC6 was more informed and more helpful. Still, you can't deny that my post had a WAY better description of slowmo.
Anton wrote:Without any of this unwarranted or unwanted prejudice.
I'm sorry. I wasn't trying to hurt anyone's feelings.

I've used Macs extensively and professionally for graphic design. Not that the hardware or software is inherently inferior; I just disagree with a lot of Apple's corporate ideologies and usage paradigms. Strongly. So my prejudice isn't unwarranted, it's just irrelevant to gaming. And whatever prejudice I carry is worn on my sleeve, because the best computer is ultimately the one that makes its owner the most productive and profitable.
Fair enough? If not, I'm ready to throw down in a hate speech battle, which CAN be more fun than diplomacy.

If we can all just agree that Receiver was a great investment of $5 everything will be all right... with or without slowmo. We WERE talking about slowmo, weren't we?

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:47 pm

berq wrote:Still, you can't deny that my post had a WAY better description of slowmo.
Definitely better! I can't describe slow motion AT ALL... It's a sad weakness of mine. ;)

berq wrote:I'm sorry. I wasn't trying to hurt anyone's feelings.I've used Macs extensively and professionally for graphic design. Not that the hardware or software is inherently inferior; I just disagree with a lot of Apple's corporate ideologies and usage paradigms. Strongly. So my prejudice isn't unwarranted, it's just irrelevant to gaming. And whatever prejudice I carry is worn on my sleeve, because the best computer is ultimately the one that makes its owner the most productive and profitable.
Fair enough? If not, I'm ready to throw down in a hate speech battle, which CAN be more fun than diplomacy.

If we can all just agree that Receiver was a great investment of $5 everything will be all right... with or without slowmo. We WERE talking about slowmo, weren't we?
No hurt feelings on my end at all… In fact, I'm all about having as much OS agnostic software as possible. In fact, my only reason to ever start using a Mac was for my music production profession. So definitely agree on the profitable side of things.
(And as a professional musician, I'm definitely not happy with the direction Apple has been trending for a while…)

I can't say as that I invested $5 in Receiver though… In fact, I believe that getting paid to write the music for the game means I invested something else, and am rewarded in different ways. ;)

Either way, slowmo is definitely fun to play with, and I will defer to your descriptive abilities in the future when possible!

berq

Post by berq » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:28 pm

Wait... you're THAT Anton? :oops: I LOVE that music! It's been stuck in my head since I bought the game last week. Come to think of it, 1700+ posts did seem like an awful lot for the average Joe Forumposter.

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:31 pm

berq wrote:Wait... you're THAT Anton? :oops: I LOVE that music! It's been stuck in my head since I bought the game last week. Come to think of it, 1700+ posts did seem like an awful lot for the average Joe Forumposter.

Glad you like the music. :) I was definitely happy with the way it came out.

I still feel like an "average" forum poster, but I definitely try to pay attention to what is happening with the games.