Receiver-alike "Relock" on Kickstarter

The place to discuss all things Receiver.
ColOfNature

Receiver-alike "Relock" on Kickstarter

Post by ColOfNature » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:55 pm

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/engagegaming/relock

Looks very much inspired by Receiver. Apparently there's a demo, although I haven't tried it.

Boolean

Re: Receiver-alike "Relock" on Kickstarter

Post by Boolean » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:22 am

Whos the dude in the video?, wait... I'm the dude in the video...

Yeah I've been developing this for 5-6 months and was going to keep it a secret but just randomly decided to release the demo and Kickstarter.

Frequent updates here: http://www.indiedb.com/games/relock
Last edited by Boolean on Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:51 am

Sounds like a cool project. Please keep us up to date on how it's coming.

I'm sure that Aubrey or David would be willing to chat with you about what we did in Receiver as well. (I can talk to you about the music, but that may not be as useful for you...) We definitely found things that worked well, and things that didn't work well (of course, we did the game in a week, so that made it hard…).

Good luck!

(Oh, and make the demo Mac/Linux compatible too :p )

Boolean

Post by Boolean » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:03 pm

Thanks for the feedback Anton,

It would be great to have a chat with them about the project as I do have a few questions about the approach of the game and some other stuff.

Also any advice on what I'm doing wrong with my kickstarter.

I'll make the demo Mac/Nix compatible in the coming weeks.

orlok

Post by orlok » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:59 am

Hello there

My two pence.

Make the hands turn on/offable. :)

Rgds

LoK

Sordid Dreams

Post by Sordid Dreams » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:38 pm

That looks awesome, but I'm not sure I want to chip in just yet. Specifically, I'm unsure what I'll get for my contribution. None of the tier rewards says "you get the finished game when it's done", they all just mention alpha and beta builds. You might want to clarify that. If I gave you money for your KS and then found out that I had to buy the game once it was done, I'd be pissed.
Derp, it says on the bottom. Though I still think it should say that in the tier description itself.
Boolean wrote: Also any advice on what I'm doing wrong with my kickstarter.
IMO you should take Jesse Cox' advice and advertise like a shameless whore. I only found out about the project in this thread, and I only came here because I love Receiver. I think your biggest hurdle is that nobody outside of this forum knows this thing exists. Go to some websites about indie games, post about your game on their forums, contact them and try to get them to post an article about your game, get them to post a link to it on Twitter, whatever it takes.

Boolean

Post by Boolean » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:33 pm

Haha I like your style Sordid. I've been posting it around to places that I think might be interested; would be great if people who are interested in it would tell others about it too (hint hint) :)

Doxite

Post by Doxite » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:58 pm

I have a suggestion for getting the game out to the public. There are sites such as TIG Source and my favorite, Indie DB. These sites are specifically for indie producers to announce their games and/or talk about their progress on the games. Indie DB is nice because the home page has the latest articles posted.

Good luck with the game. I'll be sure to pitch in on Kickstarter.

Boolean

Post by Boolean » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:36 pm

Doxite wrote:I have a suggestion for getting the game out to the public. There are sites such as TIG Source and my favorite, Indie DB. These sites are specifically for indie producers to announce their games and/or talk about their progress on the games. Indie DB is nice because the home page has the latest articles posted.

Good luck with the game. I'll be sure to pitch in on Kickstarter.
I'm making an IndieDB page at the moment; it will be up soon.

I posted an update on the Kickstarter also with screenshots of a new map and a character model that I am currently animating.

Sushin

Post by Sushin » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:46 am

The video has a lack of professionalism, and not to offend you, but you look like some kind of punk skater who old people yell at for breaking mundane rules.

The actual format of the video is good, but there isn't actually a lot of "wow" going on in terms of gameplay. When it comes to the part where you speak, you don't speak very well. There's a lot of pausing and hesitation with your speaking and the sound quality makes things awful to listen to.

As for the actual content of the Kickstarter page, I think you just deliver the wrong message, and it gets bogged down in needless details, for example (this is going to be lengthy, but I do like this idea. Hope this helps you if you try Kickstarter again):

"Insane firearm customisation options
Makes you feel like a noob - this is very hard to do in an FPS
Eventually makes you feel like a bad-ass"
A game that puts a big spin on the FPS genre. Have you ever imagined a game where you press the 'Reload' button and the entire reload sequence isn't automated? well THIS is that game!"
(lack of professionalism here. "insane amount" is terribly vague and pretty meaningless. "makes you feel like a noob" isn't very encouraging to read. the short description is pretty bad. you describe the game very poorly. what is "big spin?" try saying something like "Relock is a FPS focusing on the realistic usage of firearms. No longer is the work of operating your firearm a simple button press, but a skill that must be honed." A statement like that is more flavorful, is shorter and easier to read, and explains your game in a much more attractive style.

"Never again will you be able to reload after every engagement with precision" (that doesn't sound fun but it's the first thing you read in features.)

"If you experience a weapon jam or malfunction in-game you may be forced to field strip the weapon in order to fix it, depending on what is wrong with it." (a detail like this isn't very attractive, in fact, it might even be a hindrance on the game depending on how it's used. I don't know how, so just like anyone else debating on giving you money, I assume the worse.)

"For added safety you can use frangible ammunition with a low grain amount to stop ricochets and friendly fire." (this seems oddly situational to be bringing up so specifically. It's kind of an interesting thought, but you're also making people think friendly fire via ricochet is frequent in your game. That would totally suck....)

"Relock comes with three stances: A) Isosceles B) Weaver C) Center Axis Relock" (I personally don't know any of these, and I have a feeling most peopel don't, so again, you are bogging the page down with needless detail. I absolutely love the idea, but you can keep it shorter or simplify it for a much better delivery)

I haven't any of the rewards but the page overall just poorly communicates your game. I would get someone else to help you craft the next Kickstarter if I were you.

AndroidVageta

Post by AndroidVageta » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:41 am

Hey all...new here but will probably be around for a while :p

Anyways...I created a thread of in the the PC gaming section on [H]ardForum (the forum for [H]ardOCP) here:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1729696

Might help out a little bit!

Game looks decent so far...some more game play footage, a better video, and cleaner Kickstarter page wouldn't hurt either.

Goodluck!

Boolean

Post by Boolean » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:25 pm

There is a new Art Design lead on Relock to add some flare to the game and we are re-Kickstarter'ing in the upcoming weeks for those who are interested in the project.

p.s. multiplayer will be free from the get go of the kickstarter but limited to 2v2.

so yeah; keep an eye out peeps.

Retarded Username

Post by Retarded Username » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:53 pm

So, Receiver-like gun mechanics but in multiplayer?
Nice, I like. Checking the demo right now

underthedeep

Post by underthedeep » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:26 pm

I think it's an awesome idea and I will be contributing. Sushin does have a point that some things could be worded better but i don't think your general demeanor is THAT bad. I mean you all saw Indie Game The Movie right? Those guys didn't look much more than just your average room dweller/beer drinker.

That all being said I think this has great potential, it adds a completely new element to multiplayer FPS games, and adds a great amount of difficulty. This obviously isn't "your moms FPS".

keep up the good work.

zzwerty

Post by zzwerty » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:14 am

I like the idea of multiplayer, but does anyone else think this just looks a bit too much like Receiver? Even the name sounds similar. The graphics look nearly identical (Similar handgun, similar art style) to the point that people might actually mistake Relock for Receiver or vice versa (The logo also looks quite similar). Shouldn't more features other than just Multiplayer and extended gun customisation be added to differentiate it more? It does look like it will be a good, smooth FPS but the similarity worries me.

I also think some of those funding goals are quite unrealistic. Do you really need 7,000 pounds to finish a game which appears to already be a third finished? I suppose if you need to hire animators/model builders you would. Perhaps you should outline what the money will be used for in the video. Some of them (Extra maps, mainly) are probably things that I would expect to be in the final game, not just an extra. It would be incredibly difficult to get a community going on just two maps, especially if one is only a firing range.

I am looking forward to seeing how this project goes, hopefully you will take it in a good direction. Good luck

EDIT: Apparently some guy is working for multiplayer in Receiver, too. Looks pretty cool