Thanks Wolfire!

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
lemmy101

Thanks Wolfire!

Post by lemmy101 » Mon May 20, 2013 5:29 pm

Hey guys, it's awesome that fellow indie devs would be so kind as to close this thread and remove the 'money making links' off it, but leave login info for our game intact for anyone who happens upon it to use to play our game for free.

No matter, it's only been used quite a lot.

Thanks again!

<3

lemmy101

Re: Thanks Wolfire!

Post by lemmy101 » Mon May 20, 2013 6:39 pm

I should make it clearer what my issue is. You've closed the thread, great. You've removed the 'cash generating ads' whatever they may have been, but the entire post is 'how to play PZ for free' and to this day provides actual usable login details for our game on it.

This has been there for a month.

A few weeks ago we had problems with our S3 Amazon service due to our latest version being downloaded WAY more times than it should have been by legitimate users. This cost us thousands of dollars in total. This username and password was used a large number of times and that is what led me to this forum. The view count is lower than the amount of IPs using it, so I'm not saying this site is responsible for all of them but could well have been where it was first posted.

But due to the mods carelessness in not removing account information from this site, not only has it more than likely cost us a decent chunk of money in bandwidth from Amazon, but due to our relaxed DRM system for the new builds, you only ever have to log in once and all future updates will work automatically. Again, versions of the game that will be downloaded from our servers in future.

So yes, not particularly happy about this, particularly from a fellow indie dev and creators of humble bundle's forums, and I would appreciate the body of that post removed ASAP and more diligence in future from your moderators.

Thank you,

Chris

bloodycoathanger

Post by bloodycoathanger » Mon May 20, 2013 7:36 pm

looks like its been taken care of.
this is the type of issue that mods can only address if they know about it. its a pretty active forum, and you cant very well expect mods to review every post.
someone posted login info for your game in a public place, and it went unnoticed by anyone who could fix it until you mentioned it in irc.
the attitude isnt necessary.

also, people who pirate games or share keys like that, never intended to buy the game anyway.
Last edited by bloodycoathanger on Mon May 20, 2013 7:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

akazi

Post by akazi » Mon May 20, 2013 7:39 pm

bloodycoathanger wrote:the attitude isnt necessary.
I would be pretty upset too if I was him, just saying.

bloodycoathanger

Post by bloodycoathanger » Mon May 20, 2013 7:52 pm

yea but hes upset at the wrong people.

if all you need is any name and pass to download a game there is bound to be problems like this.
i hope youve fixed this security hole lemmy. i doubt it will appear at wolfire again, but if youre just using an unlimited name and pass system, expect lots of free downloads and lots of names/passes all over the web.

also, this is the first ive heard of the game, so consider it free publicity and get over it.
youve definitly sold atleast one copy that you wouldnt have otherwise(to me) and im sure others as well. :)

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Tue May 21, 2013 1:00 pm

Hey Lemmy, sorry about that. I honestly did not see this. Let me know how we can make this right.