randomness

Anything else
Jacktheawesome

Re: randomness

Post by Jacktheawesome » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:26 pm

Yesterday was a thick haze of red white and blue; I can't be held accountable for anything said or posted.

Haha, yeah I see a picture of that little phenomenon posted somewhere every year on the 5th. Twitter might not be the best place to look for insight, though. Yeah, I guess I'd expect something so recent to come up in school. Doesn't at all over here, though. All I really know about it is that it had to do with Protestantism and Catholicism, loyalty to the UK, and a lot of people are still upset about it.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:23 am

It's times like this that I shake my head in shaming pity for the incompetent, and feel deeply sorry for the misfortune of the ignorant.

If 'common knowledge' is not common, or did not reach all corners, that's more the education system's failing that that of the individual.
Unless, of course, that individual was too dumb to understand, in which case...

*shakes head solemnly*

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:35 am

Ren the Ruskie Zerg Rush is definitely what won the war in the European theater, but America won the Pacific theater pretty much all by itself. D-Day was also primarily fueled by America's fresh troop reserves. With that said, the UK and USSR definitely prevented the war from being lost by holding out during the Battle of Britain and Siege of Stalingrad respectively. Had either of those battles been a victory for the Germans, America wouldn't have been able to do much.

adwuga

Post by adwuga » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:04 am

I've decided that every day will be the 4th of july, so I'm keeping my new avatar.
(I'm too lazy to update the old one)

Jaz
Location: Earth, Near The Sun, Milky Way, Universe, Time Loop

Post by Jaz » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:13 am

Ah, so you're going to be celebrating the fake independance of a British-born country forever now?

(Well, technically it's an Indian-born country, but hey, the British that thought they were suddenly 'native Americans' massacred all the Indians! So the British(or at least the converted British->Americans) get all the credit :/)

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:28 am

Jacktheawesome wrote:All I really know about it is that it had to do with Protestantism and Catholicism, loyalty to the UK, and a lot of people are still upset about it.
The Irish civil war itself didn't really have anything to do with any of those things. A Treaty was signed between England and the Irish Free State giving Ireland its independence. It was called the Anglo-Irish Treaty. After this, the members of the Irish Free State who had been calling themselves the Irish Republic split off into two groups when Michael Collins came back from England with news about signing the Treaty.

There were pro-Treaty, who believed that the Treaty could be used, at first, to dismantle the oath to the British government that our government had to swear, and then later on to dismantle every other piece of power the Brits had over Ireland. They felt it was very much a big step in the right direction, and as Michael Collins put it, it gave them "the freedom to achieve freedom".

Then there were the anti-Treaty, who felt that every inch they had fought for up until that day had been spat upon by the signing of the Treaty, and that Ireland being completely sovereign and split off from the United Kingdom was the only way, and that anything less was an embarrassment and an insult.

Both of these sides henceforth had a civil war. They were both pretty much entirely Catholic, and they were both Irish nationalists. They just disagreed on the terms of the Treaty.

Michael Collins and the other pro-Treaty constituents were proven correct in years since when pretty much all of the UK's influence over Ireland was dismantled using the Treaty. Eamon De Valera, who had been originally against the Treaty, admitted ten years later that Michael Collins and the pro-Treaty members had been right, and that he had been wrong.

There's still ramifications of that civil war to this day. A group of fuckin' idiots calling themselves the IRA who aren't actually the IRA still occasionally cause trouble, less now since 20 or 30 years ago. The real IRA stopped in 1921 when that Anglo-Irish Treaty was signed and civil war broke out.

There's your unnecessary history lesson.

Ragdollmaster wrote:Ren the Ruskie Zerg Rush is definitely what won the war in the European theater, but America won the Pacific theater pretty much all by itself. D-Day was also primarily fueled by America's fresh troop reserves. With that said, the UK and USSR definitely prevented the war from being lost by holding out during the Battle of Britain and Siege of Stalingrad respectively. Had either of those battles been a victory for the Germans, America wouldn't have been able to do much.
Haha, but Japan wasn't even in the war until America goaded it into the war. They blocked Japanese trade and the Japanese, as you would, took that as an act of war. A number of America's victories in the Pacific were flukes as well. The battle of Midway saw complete air superiority from the Japanese, but a squad of American bombers had somehow missed their target. When they gave up and decided to head back they came flying in over the Japanese carriers from the opposite direction while they had their hangar decks were open with planes being fuelled and armed. The American bombers took this opportunity and dropped their payloads on the ships.

That was a huge turning point in the war, and if not for complete blind luck, the Japanese would have won the battle.

Also, there was the slight "cheat" you might say of bombing the Japanese into submission with an unfair weapon. =]

As for the real World War 2 that was fought against Nazi Germany, that was pretty much due to the Russians.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:57 am

While it's true that America was the reason Japan became a part of World War 2, America didn't have much of a choice: Japan was curbstomping its way into Asia, and America wouldn't put up with that silliness nor endorse it by continuing to give Japan more oil. Had they not cut off their economic support, Japan would have likely taken China and become a considerably larger threat. America's performance in the Pacific wasn't perfect by any means (Pearl Harbor could have been so easily avoided) and they had luck on their side, but then again, a big reason Russia was able to turn the tide was because of that pesky Russian winter.

America likely would have prevailed in Japan without a nuclear strike, the casualties would have just been much higher. Also, Britain had a neat technological advantage of its own with the invention of radar- Germany was baffled at how their air raids became so easily predictable for quite a while.

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:30 pm

Now this thread is turning into my "ramble on about something noone cares about", but american edition.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:41 pm

Timbles wrote:Now this thread is turning into my "ramble on about something noone cares about", but american edition.
That's because your thread is like a Zynga game.

adwuga

Post by adwuga » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:41 pm

Jaz wrote:Ah, so you're going to be celebrating the fake independance of a British-born country forever now?

(Well, technically it's an Indian-born country, but hey, the British that thought they were suddenly 'native Americans' massacred all the Indians! So the British(or at least the converted British->Americans) get all the credit :/)
Yep. God bless murdered innocents!
But seriously, America is the bestest ever. That's not surprising, since America is the oldest nation on Earth.

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:57 pm

adwuga wrote:Yep. God bless murdered innocents!
But seriously, America is the bestest ever. That's not surprising, since America is the oldest nation on Earth.
Yyyyyeaah sure okay.

Assaultman67

Post by Assaultman67 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:56 pm

Ragdollmaster wrote:... America likely would have prevailed in Japan without a nuclear strike, the casualties would have just been much higher. Also, Britain had a neat technological advantage of its own with the invention of radar- Germany was baffled at how their air raids became so easily predictable for quite a while.
Doubtful.

I think Japan would have remained in Japan's hands after a very bloody war.

U.S. Soldiers would have to kill civilians to take Japan from the Japanese.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:06 pm

I don't think the US forces would've hesitated to mow down a crowd of civilians charging them with swords and sharpened bamboo sticks. They also had a sizable force advantage by this point and had massacred the Japanese navy- being surrounded by an enemy naval force, as a relatively small island, is not a good position to be in.

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:12 pm

CHEERIOS ARE TRYING TO KILL OBAMA, ASSAULTMAN SAID SO
Last edited by Constance on Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Assaultman67

Post by Assaultman67 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:20 pm

Sigh

Did you have to drag this out into the public?