randomness

Anything else
Assaultman67

Re: randomness

Post by Assaultman67 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:09 am

the only reason you hate anime is because you haven't found the right kind of anime :shock:

Anime is just a medium, sort of like books, odds are there is something you like that is anime.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:10 am

adwuga wrote:Anime is ridiculous.
Anime is ridiculous. Its can also be totally perverse and off the wall and completely over the line.
Also ridiculous.
All the girls look and sound 8 years old.
You just aren't pedophile enough.

You also get some awesome stuff like this:

Yeah, there's a lot of crap out there, but occasionally the crazy comes together.
Assaultman67 wrote:the only reason you hate anime is because you haven't found the right kind of anime :shock:
Meh, anime isn't for everyone.

adwuga

Post by adwuga » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:55 am

Assaultman67 wrote:the only reason you hate anime is because you haven't found the right kind of anime :shock:

Anime is just a medium, sort of like books, odds are there is something you like that is anime.
Yeah, I watched and enjoyed Full Metal Alchemist(both series), and they were ridiculous, but I enjoyed them. I've also tried watching 7 other highly recommended anime shows, and they were all ridiculous, and nothing made any sense, and I lost interest after a few episodes. In general, it seems, I just don't like anime.

moomoohk

Post by moomoohk » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:24 am

If rather gouge my fucking eyes out.

There was one anime I once watched which I liked. But I was like 8.

adwuga

Post by adwuga » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:29 am

And all the voices are super fucking annoying. I think that's just how Japanese people sound though...

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:46 am

Have you tried any 'milder' stuff like the works of Hayao Miyazaki?
Stuff like Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, and all that.
It's really not much weirder than your favourite Disneys, except that it's based on japanese culture and tales rather than western culture and fairy tales.
Though to be fair, Howl's Moving Castle was based on an english book.

The characters in those are a lot more relatable than in most anime since they actually behave like people, for the most part.

Also Paprika, though not by Miyazaki, is fantastic and is a great shock-therapy type of transition from sensible people doing sensible things to everything safe for work that is wrong/wonderful in anime.

All those might be a borderline edge you people would likely appreciate more than the plain obnoxious Naruto, the simply weird One Piece, and the incessantly escalating Bleach (adjectives interchangeable).

adwuga

Post by adwuga » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:08 am

I actually have watched Howl's moving castle and Spirited Away(though I fell asleep for the end, not because it was boring, I was just really fucking tired). They were definitely much weirder than my favorite Disneys(at least from my American perspective), but I enjoyed them, because, as you said, the characters were relatable(for some reason Firefox thinks this isn't a real word?) and not so over the top, and they had interesting worlds and stories.
Most anime isn't too weird for me, I just don't like the fact that the characters look and sound and act so ridiculous. I didn't mind the weird creatures(such as the giant baby) in Spirited Away because they were clearly meant to be otherworldly and weird, and it wasn't every single character that was like that.

But seriously, do all Japanese women sound like they are 8? And do the men all sound super deep and evil or super exited all the time?

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:32 am

adwuga wrote:But seriously, do all Japanese women sound like they are 8? And do the men all sound super deep and evil or super exited all the time?
No.

These two are in english, but still good.

Honestly, just watch Black Lagoon. Its full of American movie references, guns, explosions, and politically incorrectness. Also swearing. Lots of swearing.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:41 am

Those voices annoy me sometimes as well. It's actually a cultural thing: women in japan actually do put on high voices most of the time. I've been there. Mostly the only ladies who don't bother with throwing their voice over the falsetto of the moon are those old enough to have given up pretending to be 18.
Male voices often being so ridiculously gruff and gravelly is just an anime thing though, and I believe that specific part is a result of distorted western culture seeping in.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:05 am

I enjoy the the deeper or softer female voices in anime because they're so rare.

Sometimes it fits though...

But that isn't as bad as some anime get.

Honestly, I like characters that have a full range of voices in when they talk.

You might check out Monogatari series if you can handle lots of talking and random scene cuts.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:12 am

I have no idea what's going on in those clips, but:
Grayswandir wrote:I enjoy the the deeper or softer female voices in anime because they're so rare.
[...]
Honestly, I like characters that have a full range of voices in when they talk.
This I fully agree with.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:34 am

Honestly, I prefer females in general to have a husky/deep/cracked tone of voice instead of sounding like a four-year old fairy princess. Emma Stone <3

moomoohk

Post by moomoohk » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:17 am

Ragdollmaster wrote:Honestly, I prefer females in general to have a husky/deep/cracked tone of voice instead of sounding like a four-year old fairy princess. Emma Stone <3
We need less anime and more Emma Stone in this godam thread.

adwuga

Post by adwuga » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:05 pm

ImageImageImage
I had no idea humans could be as ridiculous as characters in anime!

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:26 pm

Grayswandir wrote:I enjoy the the deeper or softer female voices in anime because they're so rare.
Shimizu Kaoru from Major is an example of both. She can be both cutesy-cutesy (let's face it, a lot of young women put on the cutesy thing at various times, it's not just Japanese women as Glabbit seemed to imply) and "husky" if you want to put it that way.

Also Redline was fucking awesome. Almost nothing made any sense but all of it was awesome.

Hajime No Ippo is an anime about boxing, and everyone acts as people would act, and no one's character design is over-the-top (no blue or pink hair). I think you guys just haven't watched the right kind of shows for you if you think everything is over-the-top.

Also Major is about baseball and that's also pretty straight-forward, nothing outrageous here. It's awesome though, I'm on episode 119.

Kids On The Slope is literally as down-to-earthh and regular an anime can get. It's basically about a kid who likes jazz meeting another kid who likes jazz, and then they both play jazz together, and also there's a girl they like. That's basically it. Sounds too simple, but it's amazing. Here:

I guess it goes without saying, but Sakamichi No Apollon/Kids On The Slope has an amazing soundtrack: