Overgrowth Multiplayer discussion

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
RHRampage

Re: Overgrowth Multiplayer discussion

Post by RHRampage » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:01 am

I think that this game would go perfectly with co-op. The thing is co-op is like a mix between single player and multiplayer. This would easily make taking enemies down and progressing in a changing environment intruiging, atleast to my personal opinions.

With sincerety,
RHRampage.

deprav

Post by deprav » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:45 am

Wut wut... I didn't see that coming. I kind of bought Overgrowth because, from what I understood, it had a (online) mulitplayer planned.

The gameplay in multiplayer is (was) what I'm holding my breath for. I've been playing A LOT of mount&blade : warband, and multiplayer melee combat games really are some awesome challenging experience.
I don't get the "lag excuse" - in ANY multiplayer game lags are an issue so I don't see why it should be a "no go" for Overgrowth in particular : that's why you match people depending on their location. In high-skill demanding FPS (Counter-Strike, Quake 3 etc...), your reaction time is essential, and millions of people have played it for years... Lags might actually be even worst for FPS because a slight delay on your shot makes you miss your target, thing that doesn't happen in close combat gameplay mechanics.
Plus I don't think I'm mistaken when I say the average speed/quality of people's connection is getting better since the beginning of those high-skill FPS.

So yeah... I don't get it.

(Sorry If I'm talking about some already discussed stuff, but I didn't feel like reading all those 8 pages right now)

Telchmuller

Post by Telchmuller » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:30 am

Count Roland wrote:And 6 years later I still play lugaru occasionally
There you go...they could beta test the viability of online multiplayer with lugaru...after they finish development of course.

last

Post by last » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:23 am

Telchmuller wrote:There you go...they could beta test the viability of online multiplayer with lugaru...after they finish development of course.
Lugaru and Overgrowth have very different game engines. It is useless for them to test online multiplayer with Lugaru engine for Overgrowth.
Also when David was working on Lugaru 2 they managed to get it to the point where they were able to connect, chat, and jump around in the game. http://blog.wolfire.com/2006/12/lugaru-2-multiplayer/ Or in the wery beginning of the Overgrowth engine there seem to be some sort of multiplayer mode, i belive it was back in alpha 5 or so http://blog.wolfire.com/2009/01/multiplayer-news/ Or in the alpha 8 there where some improvements made http://blog.wolfire.com/2009/01/overgrowth-alpha-8/

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:38 am

deprav wrote:I don't get the "lag excuse" - in ANY multiplayer game lags are an issue so I don't see why it should be a "no go" for Overgrowth in particular... ...Lags might actually be even worst for FPS because a slight delay on your shot makes you miss your target, thing that doesn't happen in close combat gameplay mechanics.
So, of course lag is an issue for all games, but, there are a lot of "tricks" that go along with FPS games that make them more viable in a multiplayer setting. One of the reasons this is possible is because each interaction generally has only one exchange of data - shoot your gun, then hit <yes or no>. So, they can compensate for lag by allowing these kinds of hit detection to occur even after the lag has passed. In some games, people even complain about dying almost seconds after the game has registered that they have been hit, but, it was most likely a fair hit.
The games can also try to predict the action of a player, and try to compensate in turn, but that can be complicated as well.

So, the biggest obstacle with Overgrowth is that each interaction has multiple potential exchanges of data, that can be chained together. So, attack/block/attack/grab/throw/counter throw/attack - each of these requiring the pattern to be transmitted back and forth between the players, at a MUCH faster rate. The timing on these actions are so short that lag may mean that they are not possible to accomplish.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:33 am

deprav wrote:Wut wut... I didn't see that coming. I kind of bought Overgrowth because, from what I understood, it had a (online) mulitplayer planned.

I'm sorry to hear that. If it's a dealbreaker, Wolfire does offer refunds.

Would you mind telling us where you got that impression? If it's on this site, it'd be easy enough to change so others don't do the same mistake.

Telchmuller

Post by Telchmuller » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:14 pm

What if you could select a combat style that was constantly scripted for online play?

This way you would essentially be piloting an avatar with limited capabilities in terms of player direct control, however...with level scaling and customization of AI styles you could still get some online multiplayer function.

I think tweaking your avatar and navigating it in realtime might possibly offer some appeasement for the MMO addicts...maybeh???

idk... :idea:

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:53 am

Telchmuller wrote:What if you could select a combat style that was constantly scripted for online play?

This way you would essentially be piloting an avatar with limited capabilities in terms of player direct control, however...with level scaling and customization of AI styles you could still get some online multiplayer function.

I think tweaking your avatar and navigating it in realtime might possibly offer some appeasement for the MMO addicts...maybeh???

idk... :idea:
So you're saying they should do two games, Overgrowth and Over-avatar, and release them for the price of one game?

Telchmuller

Post by Telchmuller » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:43 pm

Endoperez wrote:
So you're saying they should do two games, Overgrowth and Over-avatar, and release them for the price of one game?
Ok...so it would change the game too much to do that i guess.

My intention was simply to offer a way to get SOME mmo functionality.
I was not suggesting that it should be done to taint the overgrowth experience, or that it NECESSARY that overgrowth offer mmo compatibility.

I don't even play mmo's, so my motives where purely speculative.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:04 am

It wasn't a bad idea. It's just that ideas are cheap, and implementation is not.

Telchmuller

Post by Telchmuller » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:54 am

Endoperez wrote: It's just that ideas are cheap, and implementation is not.
So that is why I get so many of them! :P

Ylvali

Post by Ylvali » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:02 am

Endoperez wrote:Would you mind telling us where you got that impression? If it's on this site, it'd be easy enough to change so others don't do the same mistake.
I'm not sure where he got the impression, but I got it from multitude of half spoken promises and casual mentions about multiplayer in the alpha videos over the years, from start of development until now. Not least the one where they showcased a UI design mockup for network connections and all the stuff about integrated web interface a few years back, the various local multiplayer tests, the first lugaru 2 video where they tested multiplayer, and the blob posts exploring multiplayer related topics. Coupled with the fact that overgrowth has never ever come clean on this in clear language, they have neither confirmed or denied almost anything at all ever. It's the same kind of hype that makes you expect all the races fully implemented and a complete storyline for example. Not quite promised, not quite backed down from.

The repeated denounciations from various forum members interpreting this vagueness into their own convictions about what will or will not be in the game is 100% worthless since as far as I know we all have exactly the same information to go on.

Seriously, there should be a published feature list and estimated time plan by now. It would stop all this useless speculation between completely ignorant fans and we would all know what we're paying for.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:44 am

True enough. I was pretty sure multiplayer hadn't been promised, and it seems I was right, but they have been talking about the possibility of all sorts of features, including multiplayer.

underthedeep

Post by underthedeep » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:18 pm

so what you are saying is.....

sir! that is preposterous!

VagrantWulf

Post by VagrantWulf » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:04 pm

Just popping an opinion in here.

Personally, I'm hoping there'll be at least some rudimentary LAN support. Why? I want to co-op around parkour maps with a friend. That's what I want out of Overgrowth, now. I've lost interest in it as a fighting game, but I've gained so much more in it as a movement game. I love the way the character moves, and I feel that could be expanded upon at some point with further parkour-like elements.

With at least some form of LAN, it means a couple of friends (or more) could get together (perhaps even online via Hamachi), and just do some parkour in a nice map. Yeah, I'm not expecting it, but it would be nice.