Questions about Lugaru 2

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
imphasing

Questions about Lugaru 2

Post by imphasing » Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:53 pm

Hi,
I've got a couple questions about Lugaru 2. I reallllllly like Lugaru, and it's a wonderful game, but one of the best things about it, I think, is how well it runs on lower end computer. Take my iBook G4 for example. I get 60 fps on it, and it's great. I'm wondering if Lugaru 2 is going to be a lot more intensive, ruling out the possibility of playing it on low end hardware..

Also, I'm wondering if Lugaru 2 has a closed development team. I would love to help out, if it's not. Since this isn't an open source project, I'm going to go ahead and assume that Lugaru 2 has a closed team. I would be happy to help with the OS X portion of the coding, if you guys are looking for help. I don't know anything about the new engine you have created, or even what language it's written in, but it sounds like something really fun to work on.

Anyway, thank you for creating such a wonderful game. This is easily the best game I've come across for OS X, and it's very creative.

Thanks,
Alex

leDoOd
What custom title?

Post by leDoOd » Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:22 pm

David and Jeff have said that Lugaru 2 will be able to run on lower-end computers with some of the more C+GPU-intensive processes turned off (probably things like grass and high-end water effects).

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:36 pm

<David>Thanks!</David>

Lugaru 2 is going to be much more intense. You will be able to turn down the graphics, of course. It is really hard to say exactly what kind of computer you will need, but it is pretty safe to assume that you will need a modern computer take full advantage of all the features and bump up the resolution.

Lugaru is not open-source but we are always looking for talented people to contribute. However, unlike say, music assets, where you could contribute something and we could just say thumbs up or thumbs down, contributing source code to Lugaru is very precarious and hazardous for obvious reasons. Unless you are an extremely talented programmer and can devote a lot of time to it, it is probably best to leave everything to David (and me!)

With that said, one thing that would be useful in the future is for people to help us create scenarios and maps and such that will be the actual game. Some of this will require coding, but on a much higher level than the actual engine. More on this later. :)

imphasing

Post by imphasing » Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:36 pm

Heh, "extremely talented programmer" isn't exactly a description that fits me. :]
I mostly work with low level C coding for the linux platform.. always been interested in 3D math and programming though. Not something I'm exactly good at (yet) though. It would be better left to the pros.

I'm just wondering, what sort of library does Lugaru 1 use for rendering/displaying? Is it openGL? Or maybe something David came up with himself?

Thanks,
Alex

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:37 pm

OpenGL

Silb
Master cartographer

Post by Silb » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:15 am

Jeff wrote:With that said, one thing that would be useful in the future is for people to help us create scenarios and maps and such that will be the actual game. Some of this will require coding, but on a much higher level than the actual engine.
If that is useful, I have enough motivation to create a fair amount of content. As far as I am concerned, you can already count me in! :)

Sage

Post by Sage » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:50 am

If it's similar to Operation Flashpoint or Starcraft/Warcraft 3 then I'd be able to make simple maps.

If it's similar to Hammer, then, well, it would be more advanced but harder to make.

It would be neat if the map editor had "simple" mode for people that can't code for crap (ahem, moi) and "advanced" for the people with coding coming out of every orafice in their bodies. That way the not-smart people will be able to make decent maps/scenarios :D

Nuky
Plutonium Handler

Post by Nuky » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:51 am

Or just leave the coding (scripting?) optional?

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:46 pm

It's way too early to tell, but ideally there would be a bunch of pre-scripted things to chose from. The coding aspect would only show up if you wanted to add a new feature.

James M

Post by James M » Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:30 pm

I wouldn't mind contributing some music... is there any particular style/theme your after?

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:43 am

I'd say the same kind of ambient music that was in Lugaru 1. I don't know about anyone else, but I really liked the music. It contributed to the weird feel of the game.

Crill3
Indecisive titler

Post by Crill3 » Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:07 am

What about some death metal?

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:31 pm

What about some fire-up-your-own-mp3s?

pyros soul

Post by pyros soul » Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:38 pm

Crill3 wrote:What about some death metal?
Me likes that idea!

Nuky
Plutonium Handler

Post by Nuky » Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:02 pm

Filmatic/orchestral/etc psy!
*Dances to Ananda Shake*