Black Shades for Windows - Now with better audio!

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Henry

Black Shades for Windows - Now with better audio!

Post by Henry » Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:18 am

Hi everyone,

It's been a while, but I think I've ironed out all the audio issues in my first Black Shades for Windows release. If all works as hoped, this should be the best sounding Black Shades release for any OS so far!

Grab the game here.

Grab the source code here

Save a VIP today!
Henry
www.simisen.com

Previous post: Black Shades ported to Windows

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:30 am

Awesome! I was just talking about the Black Shades Windows port with David... Works great on my computer.

There is one bug though - when you dive, sometimes you stand up facing the wrong direction. This was in the last version too.

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:33 am

I am really happy that the sound is working :) The sound effects are really integral to making the game fun. I still keep Black Shades installed in case I need to take out some frustration on some random civilians.

Henry

Post by Henry » Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:36 am

Jeff wrote:There is one bug though - when you dive, sometimes you stand up facing the wrong direction. This was in the last version too.
That's weird, I really didn't touch the control code in either port... Has anyone seen that in the OS X version?

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:34 am

Sweet port, nonetheless. Good job, Henry. Not sure about the diving thing, though.

leDoOd
What custom title?

Post by leDoOd » Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:54 pm

Zooming in with the sniper rifle also somehow changes your direction.

Can someone make a read-me as well, or am I missing it? It's been a while since I played Black Shades and I forget how to change weapons and go into perma-slomo.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:59 pm

Umm, ok!
Blackshades Readme wrote: Black Shades
By David Rosen

Controls:
WASD = walk
shift = run
mouse = look
control = crouch/zoom
click = fire (while aiming) or smash (while running) or pick up gun (while crouching over a body and not aiming) or disarm (while not aiming)
q = aim or un-aim (important for picking up guns)
r = reload
e = psychic aim
z = toggle soul release
space = dive (while running forwards)

keys for debug mode: (turn on debug mode by setting "Show fps and other info" to 1 in config

tab = 3rdperson toggle
f = Force Pushª :)
shift-x = switch weapons
b=slowmotion
k=skip level
g+shoot=launch grenade

Thats it

Instructions:
Try to keep your VIP (the guy in white) alive as long as possible. The assassins will all try to shoot or stab him to death. You must do all you can to prevent this. Your reputation has preceded you, so the VIP has absolute confidence in your abilities and will completely ignore all the assassins. When an assassin is aiming at your VIP with a gun, you will psychicly see a line of sight extending from him to your VIP. This line will narrow and redden until it disappears and the assassin fires. Depending on the situation it may be best just to shoot the assassin(s), or to dive and tackle the VIP to the ground to avoid the bullet. Unfortunately your psychic powers do not show the line of sight of knife-wielding assassins.

If you are feeling overwhelmed you can use psychic aiming to temporarily speed up your thought processes and aim your shots better. If there are no visible enemies you may want to release your soul and look for nearby enemies. When your soul is released your VIP pulsates between blue and red, civilians between black and red, and assassins are solid red.

If you die or your VIP is killed.. the level restarts. If you are are interested in the theory behind this: you are a psychic bodyguard, so you can see small distances into the future. The failure only occured in a possible future which you are now going to try and avoid.

The scoring system consists of:
150 points for a successful disarm
300 points for destroying a zombie (by blowing its head off)
100+50x points for completing a mission where x is the mission number (i.e. 450 points for completing mission 3)
75 points for incapacitating an assassin (depends on difficulty level)
+50 if he had a knife
-300 points for hurting a civilian
-100 points for allowing the VIP to die
The penalty for failing to protect the VIP is waived if you kill the assassin.

You can edit levels by setting "Custom levels" to 1 in the config and editing the customlevels.txt file in the data folder.

Weapons:
Bare Hands: Smack people with them. Or if you want to be nice, walk or stand (don't run) near somebody with a gun and take it away.

Knife: Like bare hands, but deadly and with longer range. Look out for knife-wielding assassins, they are the most dangerous.

Handgun: One shot with this should be enough to incapacitate any human target, but they may remain conscious for a second (this can be bad if they are about to stab your VIP, aim for the head)

Magnum: Not as much ammo as the vanilla handgun, but one shot is an instantenous kill

Assault Rifle: This weapon has quite a kick and is bigger and more unwieldy than the handguns, but it has a large magazine and can fire quickly if necessary

Sniper Rifle: A bit more powerful than the magnum, with a scope. Very difficult to aim unless you are zoomed in (zoom by holding the control key)

Shotgun: Aim and shoot. Very powerful but somewhat inaccurate.

Grenade: Hold down the mouse button to take out the pin, release the button to throw it. Crouch to change your mind and put
the pin back in. You can knock people out if you hit them in the head, or of course you can just blow them to pieces. To throw far, throw while running forwards.

History:
2-8 decals, tweaked difficulty and scoring, misc. changes
11-6 to 11-9 main menu, score, etc.
10-9 to 11-6 better ai, gibbing, added zombies, weather, knife, shotgun, misc. stuff
10-8 shooting delay/ effect
10-6 added rich vip guy
10-5 bug fixes, gibbing, slomo psychicness
10-4 bug fixes, blood toggle, environments, falling damage
10-1 worked on menu, pathfinding
9-27 added black shades, bug fixes, added some IDG sounds, better collision, config.txt
9-22 bug fixes
9-21 mouse smoothing, better aiming, different blood
9-20 fixed street clipping, grenades working, more blood
9-19 fixed grenade faces, fixed some assassin AI, fixed penetration bugs
9-18 started assassin AI, some more assassin AI, some work on grenades
9-17 faster aiming/crouching, VBL sync, slightly improved control sensitivity stuff
9-16 glock added, penetrating sniper rounds, better scope, different zooming
9-15 suicide, improved bashing, npcs can carry guns, reloading, headshot sound, camera positioned better, handgun
9-14 rifle bashing, aim modifications, redder headshots, speed
9-13 everything in one folder, stationary 3rd person cam toggle, visible bullets, some sound stuff
9-12 crouching, duck to snipe, pain animations
9-11 more fluid aiming, different costumes, assault rifle, health system, impact reaction, kill counter
9-10 sniper rifle scope, bullets, sounds
9-9 bug fix
9-8 sniper rifle added (fires blanks, can't zoom), ragdoll system improved, ragdoll sounds
9-7 smooth transition to pointing arms, walking, better running, skeletal 'ragdoll' system + collisions
9-6 fixed sound bug
9-5 Added distance people sprites (very far view distance, faster also) Added limit to # of people per block, more even spacing, added pointing arms (pistol aiming without the pistol)
9-4 Added random civilian placement system (populated entire city instead of a block)
9-3 Too Busy
9-2 Too Busy
9-1 Too Busy
8-31 Started basic civilian AI
8-30 Fog fixed on ground and sky, better skeletal animation, pre-calced rotations for joints
8-29 Real Lifeª intervened, no time
8-28 Air control added, some collision fixed, occluding people, sky plane, ground does not occlude
8-27 looking up/down changes animation, editors updated to CW 8, animation editor tweaks, optimised a bit
8-26 look at previous soul position when going back into body, sound fx added, movement speed tweaks, can't see body while soul is released
8-25 black sunglasses idea(prevent visions) "dark shades" or "black shades" name
psychic vision effect added
better collision added
8-24 working under CW 8
8-23 collision detection on street (with sidewalk+buildings)
8-22 collision detection models + firstperson view
8-21 psychic bodyguard idea
8-20 basic city engine, skeletal animation from glfighters2 pre-alpha, player+building models, jogger group

Main menu music is a collaboration between me and John Graham.
Due to legal difficulties all other music is composed by me at the last minute based on some nice loops made by Carlos Camacho, hence the 'programmer music'.
Also many thanks to my other friends and beta testers, and to artist David Drew for modelling the assault rifle, sniper rifle, handgun, shotgun and grenade.

Crill3
Indecisive titler

Post by Crill3 » Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:03 pm

Yes, you must be missing the readme, DoOd.

I don't remember any diving/zooming bugs,
but i will try and see I get them now.

Edit: Crap. BlackShades doesn't work anymore (haven't played since last 2 system updates).

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:22 pm

I just completed Blackshades, and man, I found that game was really god damn difficult. It took me around an hour and half or so to complete it, but let me tell you that there is nothing better than a minute-long bout of sprinting at oncoming zombies and giving them a clothesline-esque pistol whip. I had to try the minute-long zombie onslaught equipped with pistol around thirty or fourty times, but it was exhilarating, because I found when I finally did beat it, the last fifteen seconds of action had me on the edge of my seat and left me with my heart pounding in my chest. Fair dues.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:35 pm

By the way, the details on the diving bug are this: if you turn left, diving works as expected. If you turn right, diving causes the view to revert to the where you were looking at the last point you turned left.

Nazgul11
LoTR@localhost

Post by Nazgul11 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:35 am

Thanks man! I've hoped someone would do this in the past, and now its done.

Time to kill some peeps :twisted:

Banderman

Re: Black Shades for Windows - Now with better audio!

Post by Banderman » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:18 pm

Hey, I'm wondering, is it possible to get an older version of this game? Because the VIP getting killed all the time REALLY annoys me. I know, the purpose of this game is to protect the rich dude, bit I want to run around randomly killing people and stuff. I just wanna know if it's possible. If it is, please reply with a link to Black Shades 10-5. :D

adwuga

Re: Black Shades for Windows - Now with better audio!

Post by adwuga » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:43 am

The post before yours was posted 8 days after Hurricane Katrina. An entire city was rebuilt between the post before yours and your post. Your 6 year necro will not go unpunished.

Actually, it will.