Mounts

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:40 am

Ah ha ha ha, that's very clever zip.
Anyways, I think there should definitely be another critical state for Lugaru 2, preferibly two if you're talking about multiplayer.
You should automatically (or better yet, manually have to) recover after being knocked out for a short 40 seconds, during multiplayer matches (which may just involve increasing the effects of temporary damage to keep you on the ground for longer amounts of time. Though I think you still need a more defined "knocked out" state, where you can only recover after some help by your friends).
And instead of dying after getting slashed with a knife or sword you should be in a temporary critical state (before you bleed to death), where you appear completely dead because your breathing and pulse is weak. This would allow others the opportunity to pick you up and take you to that medic's tent that Renegade was talking about (which would be, hella fun by the way). Also, since the movement system allows it, you automatically fight poorly when you're tired, that's a nice touch. And again, I've never played SOS but crawling around on the ground would be awesome.

Now for team deathmatch, that would be fairly useless, since those games are all about killing, dying, respawning and killing. But for those "survival" modes where it's all about staying alive and not so much killing as it is about completing the objective, is where all these healer's huts and saving people would come in handy. Otherwise, you get stuff like Counter-Strike where you're either trying to completely wipe out the opposing team, ignoring the objective or are waiting most of the round on a camper because you happened to be the one who got sniped at the very start of the match with no way to get back in. (I need some shock paddles or CPR for that game, hey it's the only thing that keeps me playing Battlefield2 rather than 1942...)

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:23 am

zip wrote:
Renegade_Turner wrote:There'd have to be some distinguishable way of knowing whether or not an ally was dead, though. I guess I should be putting this in the random ideas thread.
Dunno.. them laying on the ground and not moving is usually a clue :P
Don't get smart. I meant whether they were dead or unconscious, obviously. :P

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:29 am

Zantalos wrote: Now for team deathmatch, that would be fairly useless, since those games are all about killing, dying, respawning and killing.
The way I was imagining it, I was thinking once you're dead, you're out, like how it is in Counter Strike and shit. I kind of prefer that way, anyway, so it's the last people left who win the round. I think that would suit Lugaru more, anyway. I dunno.

Whoops, sorry for double-posting, I just realised.

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:42 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:
zip wrote:
Renegade_Turner wrote:There'd have to be some distinguishable way of knowing whether or not an ally was dead, though. I guess I should be putting this in the random ideas thread.
Dunno.. them laying on the ground and not moving is usually a clue :P
Don't get smart. I meant whether they were dead or unconscious, obviously. :P
Should there really be a differentiation in multiplayer games?
Maybe dead players could have a ghost-effect hovering over them, like in L1's tutorial mode.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:32 pm

When they're unconscious, they moan and move. When they're dead, they don't. That should work.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:46 pm

zip wrote:Should there really be a differentiation in multiplayer games?
Maybe dead players could have a ghost-effect hovering over them, like in L1's tutorial mode.
You mean a differentiation for knockouts in multiplayer? I was thinking it should be more fast paced than single player. Knockouts in multiplayer are short while knockouts in single player can last several hours (because waking up at night, 8 hours after getting hit in the head is cool. A constant real-time in multiplayer would make this kind of pointless though, since it'd take too long).

Oh and if you're just dead, the idea of taking control of an animal spectator, rather than a ghost sounds perfect already.

"In survivor modes, dead players can gain control of random ambient life, like birds or insects."- David

And in my opinion, the point of reviving would only be needed in a survival mode game. It sounds kind of pointless in regular team deathmatch, because you'd probably just want to go ahead, die, and respawn back to full health, rather than trying to stay alive waiting for some teammate to heal you back up to only a fraction of your full self. In Team Survival matches, you wouldn't care having to wait and recover since it's better than being eliminated, but in Deathmatch you'd be better off dying and coming back.
You could still be completely dead in Survival matches, but it would require your opponent to execute you. In the end, the surviving players on the team would be the last people standing and win the round, that wouldn't change.

Ahh yes, a good way to have a knocked out state and a critical state. Rudel's idea of having moaning (and possibly giving you a slight control of their crawling) players when they have been stabbed and bleeding to death. While getting hit with a wooden staff would just put you in a quiet unconscious state. That would be an easy way to tell the difference between dead, dying, and knocked-out people.

Sartan

Post by Sartan » Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:18 pm

Why not just stick with the same differentiation as Lugaru? That's enough for me.

pyros soul

Post by pyros soul » Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:36 pm

*cough* *warning!: off-topic alert* *cough*

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:19 pm

rudel_ic wrote:When they're unconscious, they moan and move. When they're dead, they don't. That should work.
When you are up close, yes. But it's important to be able to easily tell the difference between unconscious and dead players from a distance, and in the heat of combat.

Munchkin9

Post by Munchkin9 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:48 am

Well actually it is getting of topic. anyway there could be lots of things rabbits could ride ( other then other rabbits) ex: Dogs, badgers use your imagination. And though it would be cool to have a flying mount it would not work very well in the game.
But i am open to suggetions.

Just a thought.

Sectaurs

Post by Sectaurs » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:44 am

Dogs and Badgers eat rabbits, especially if they were big enough to ride.

What about bicycles?

Viking Zippy
Wooter

Post by Viking Zippy » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:52 am

I can't really see Turner on a bike, but maybe a da Vinci-esque glider could work, launching from the top of some tower somewhere.

Sectaurs

Post by Sectaurs » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:01 am

actually, you're right. bicycles wouldn't really work.

my vote goes for unicycles. I'm going to start pestering David to let me model one. :twisted:

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:13 am

I THINK he may have been joking about the bicycles.

Inane

Post by Inane » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:24 am

Personally I think badgers are our best choice so far. Pack badgers. Wait! How about elk. Pack elk. Effortlessly lug your valuables while doing no walking!