Overgrowth Weekly

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Joel98

Re: OGW Q&A with the developers

Post by Joel98 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:42 pm

Hello Wolfire games, my idea is that the playercshould have a great amount of clothing, weapons, etc. to design character with. My next request is for you to add a fox character. Finally I would love to see you add an option for the character to be able to create worlds/quests/stories in a freemode sandbox; the player would be able to access the world and play on it if they choose. If you like any of my suggestions please notify me and I will explain more if needed. Thank you very much.

huey

Post by huey » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:15 am

What is the feature that you are most excited to work on?

Joel98

Post by Joel98 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:36 am

The fox character and the sandbox attachment

Joel98

Post by Joel98 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:59 pm

Hello?

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:15 pm

…hi?

Joel98

Post by Joel98 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:18 pm

What am I supposed to be doing here?!?!?

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:23 pm

Joel98 wrote:What am I supposed to be doing here?!?!?
This thread is for Overgrowth Weekly, where you can ask questions for the devs of Overgrowth.
Once you ask your question, you can wait for the Overgrowth Weekly stream to come, and the devs will answer your question(s) at some point in time, once it comes along.
Unless you're talking about the forums in the first place. In which case, I'm not exactly sure what to tell you.

Joel98

Post by Joel98 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:27 am

Ok thanks for the info

shyisc

Post by shyisc » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:59 am

Surak wrote:
shyisc wrote:I just watched this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJwtylBkb-U

I would like to hear you address the observations and suggestions made. I would also like to add that broken bones can be treated with splints and casts.
The video was discussed ~3 weeks ago.
In OW 99 or OW 100?

I remember some things on the topic being discussed, but not a proper and detailed discussion of the suggestions in that video.

Surak

Post by Surak » Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:36 pm

shyisc wrote:
Surak wrote:
shyisc wrote:I just watched this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJwtylBkb-U

I would like to hear you address the observations and suggestions made. I would also like to add that broken bones can be treated with splints and casts.
The video was discussed ~3 weeks ago.
In OW 99 or OW 100?

I remember some things on the topic being discussed, but not a proper and detailed discussion of the suggestions in that video.
I don't remember, but you are right, "discussed" was maybe the wrong choice of words. They talked about it, but rather briefly. Just said that some good suggestions were made etc.

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:43 pm

The recording of OGW 101 is up on YouTube now.

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:59 pm

Bradon Rivers on YouTube wrote:Heres a question, what other games that are still in alpha or some prebuild before release that has influenced your current or future development structure? I keep up to date with RUST, which is a 1st person survival/shooter that seems to get lots of updates in, though, I agree, it should take longer on a custom engine since they use the newest build of Unity. They tend to use forum post style instead of videos, would that be easier than these videos(A separate question from the prior)?

wake

Post by wake » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:47 am

Will you consider using buildbot? You can setup a buildbot server on a simple computer, even a raspberry pie, and have it run at all times, it creates neat logs and is easy to initiate a build if you use make.

You will need to set up buildslaves on each platform you wish to support, have a computer with a windows buildslave running Windows, an osx computer with a osx buildslave, a linux computer with a linux buildslave. They will be hooked up to buildbot, and when you commit something to your revision control system, it initiates builds and you get a sweet log to see if they have errors or warnings. You will no not step on each-others feet ever again :)

Autious
Project Programmer

Post by Autious » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:40 am

wake wrote:Will you consider using buildbot? You can setup a buildbot server on a simple computer, even a raspberry pie, and have it run at all times, it creates neat logs and is easy to initiate a build if you use make.

You will need to set up buildslaves on each platform you wish to support, have a computer with a windows buildslave running Windows, an osx computer with a osx buildslave, a linux computer with a linux buildslave. They will be hooked up to buildbot, and when you commit something to your revision control system, it initiates builds and you get a sweet log to see if they have errors or warnings. You will no not step on each-others feet ever again :)
Might consider that or something similar. Something i've come across myself is Jenkins, but buildbot sounds like a possible contender, will have to look into it.

The build engineer in me loves the idea of denying merges to a mainline based on compile errors on one of the platforms.

wake

Post by wake » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:02 pm

Autious wrote:
wake wrote:Will you consider using buildbot? You can setup a buildbot server on a simple computer, even a raspberry pie, and have it run at all times, it creates neat logs and is easy to initiate a build if you use make.

Might consider that or something similar. Something I've come across myself is Jenkins, but buildbot sounds like a possible contender, will have to look into it.

The build engineer in me loves the idea of denying merges to a mainline based on compile errors on one of the platforms.
Maybe one could make it compile a testing branch, then when all the platforms go green, merge with master 8)

Continuous Integration is the name of the game. If you use GitLab, it has built in CI, but you can also make it use buildbot, which is what I configured for my setup (until my raspberry pi corrupted itself recently).

What source control management system do you guys use? That's a question for next og weekly :)