Overgrowth Weekly

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
bugmenot

Re: OGW Q&A with the developers

Post by bugmenot » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:41 pm

Hi guys,
I just watched the last Q&A, and Steve was hard to hear, and the way Hangouts kept jumping from person to person was kind of disorienting (especially when one person was speaking and it would jump between other people).

I suggest that you try using Rabb.it. I've found it to be quite reliable, it doesn't jump around (seemingly) randomly, and you can pin everyone to be able to see them all at once.
The only thing it doesn't have is screensharing, instead it has 'rabbit cast', which is basically one central computer which you can pass around the controls for. If this is a problem however, people who need to be able to share their own screen could install ManyCam, which allows you to do other stuff, like picture in picture too, so we can still see your face while you show us your screen.

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:49 pm

bugmenot

I have been looking for an alternative to Skype for a while so we tried out Hangouts for the last one. The biggest problem with Hangouts is that you can't treat your own view like everyone else's, so it will never focus on yourself unless I manually tell it to, which is why sometimes when I was speaking it was just showing others' video.

I sort of like having the person who's speaking take up more space and someone else said they liked it during the stream as well, so I guess that might be more of a personal preference.

Anyhow, thanks for the suggestion! I'll be evaluating this for the next OGW! :)

MiloJames

Post by MiloJames » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:06 pm

When will we get to see a new menu screen in the upcoming alphas? And possibly a better settings menu?

Autious
Project Programmer

Post by Autious » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:53 pm

Here's what it looks like right now in dev. =)
Attachments
2015-10-26-205015_1024x768_scrot.png

rodeje25

Post by rodeje25 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:14 pm

MOAAR PICS

Autious
Project Programmer

Post by Autious » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:20 am

Main menu looks like this atm. No big changes, but there are some minor details changed. Game development focus is currently on the arena battles, the the main menu will have to wait for a bit.
Attachments
2015-10-27-111721_1024x768_scrot.png

rodeje25

Post by rodeje25 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:04 am

Autious wrote:Main menu looks like this atm. No big changes, but there are some minor details changed. Game development focus is currently on the arena battles, the the main menu will have to wait for a bit.
Now i'm satisfied :P

bugmenot

Post by bugmenot » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:08 pm

Silverfish wrote:I sort of like having the person who's speaking take up more space and someone else said they liked it during the stream as well, so I guess that might be more of a personal preference.
Perhaps you could try "Hangouts On Air", I haven't tried it, but it's designed for the kind of streaming you're doing, so I would think that it would probably have a way of getting around the
Silverfish wrote:can't treat your own view like everyone else's
issue. though I think it's mainly (only?) for streaming and/or posting to YouTube, so I don't know how or if it would work with you current streaming platform.

On the other hand, I think that using a video chat system called Rabbit would be perfect for you guys, eh? :lol:

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:35 pm

Thanks for the Hangouts On Air tip. I tested it out quickly a bit alone and it seems like it may be what I'm looking for! I tested out Rabbit last week and it didn't live up to the requirements unfortunately.

EDIT:
Tested Hangouts On Air today and it seems better than normal Hangouts for our purposes. It shows myself when I speak, which was the biggest gripe I had with Hangouts. Testing it out live this weekend! :)

wake

Post by wake » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:18 am

When the next alpha is released, will you consider to make a blog post with a link to the webpage where we can login and download the newest alpha?

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:18 pm

OGW 102 was just uploaded:

wake, there is a blog post made for every alpha. You'll be able to download it through Steam, Humble Store as well as torrent and HTTP from the SPF, just as usual. :)

woodenflute

Post by woodenflute » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:00 pm

Just watched the OGWeekly. Almost only great news! :D
And good job with the arenas, Akazi! Have you considered any arenas that are dynamic, with moving platforms/objects?

wake

Post by wake » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:03 am

Silverfish wrote:OGW 102 was just uploaded:

wake, there is a blog post made for every alpha. You'll be able to download it through Steam, Humble Store as well as torrent and HTTP from the SPF, just as usual. :)
Thank you Silverfish.

In the spirit of open development, you could have each team member say a little bit about what they have been working in a blog post or a video for the next alpha.

In any case, I am really looking forwards to the alpha :)

edit: Changed the phrasing a little. Sorry for the previous iteration of my questions being overly overbearing, I hadn't eat anything all day when I wrote them.
Last edited by wake on Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

wake

Post by wake » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:24 am

Dear Max and Lukas,

For the mod support, you have mentioned a new xml file to describe the mod, with author information, game name, version number, files to overload, etc. This makes the engine relatively data-driven, meaning that the program will not have its control flow hard-coded, but instead declared "upstream"; by data-files it loads in.

Will you consider taking it even further and treat Overgrowth as a mod? Instead of overloading files, you could make a project.xml for each mod which defines the assets to be used, i.e. xml files, 3d models, textures, angelscripts, sounds, GUI widgets, etc.

An example of project.json

Code: Select all

{
    "settings": {
        "name": "application",
        "author": "wake",
        "windowLength": 256,
        "windowHeight": 256,
        "icon": "icon.tga"
    },
    "scenes": [
        {
            "id": 1,
            "filename": "main_menu.json"
        },
        {
            "id": 2,
            "filename": "level1.json"
        },
    ]
}
level1.json will then include all of the stuff for that scene. The first scene might be the main menu, then the main menu will have a angelscript file which loads another scene based on what the user clicks on. Maybe the main_menu.json would look like this:

Code: Select all

{
    "scripts": {
        "on_update": "guilogic.angelscript"
    },
    "objects": [
        {
            "type": "2DImage",
            "path": "mouse_pointer.png",
            "tag": "mouse pointer"
        },
        {
            "path": "background.png",
            "xpos": 0,
            "ypos": 0
        },
        {
            "path": "thumbnail1.png",
            "xpos": 100,
            "ypos": 100,
            "tag": "thumbnail"
        },
    ]
}
Then, the editor would simply edit these project and level xml files (in my case, json).

edit: Had something to eat and reformulated the question.
Last edited by wake on Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:53 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Berstarke

Post by Berstarke » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:32 am

Haven't tried overgrowth lately, so please ignore if this was already addressed.

Are there any chances of some sort of having moving camera options during a cutscene. Something like attaching the camera object to a path and tell it to go from point A to B in x seconds to make a tracking shot of sorts (like for a pursuit, for example), or maybe attaching it between a character's eyes and have a POV angle.

I ask that because I've been meaning to try creating simple campaigns for OG, and would like to have the capacity for some more cinematic cutscenes.