Wii!

Anything else
loki J Lo
What's "what's a computer"?

Post by loki J Lo » Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:21 pm

About the remotes slipping out of peoples hands and hitting TVs: Thats because of the "non-gamers" who play Wii Sports and find it necisary to swing the remote as fast as possible to hit a tennis ball. My hands don't even sweat when I play the Wii and there's no way it'd slip out of my hand...

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:24 am

David wrote:This is true for the other consoles as well to some extent; if PS3 and 360 developers actually start using that processing power in interesting ways, instead of just attempting greater and greater graphical realism, we will see some really interesting projects.
Resistance is a good example of using it's processing power. But next year awaits multiple possiblities.

I think good examples would be more like Shadow of the Colossus and Breakdown.
Penny Arcade comic of Shadow of the Colossus
SotC didn't just throw in some high resolution textures, and shaders to make it look great, it put in real effects like motion blur and complex animations. No matter what you were standing on, even little things like turtles, your feet would always be firmly planted on the ground and your standing stances were fully dynamic. And it's the only game I know where the laws of inertia actually apply, you actually keep your velocity going if you decide to let go while the Colossi are shaking you around. It's awesome, you go flying (it's also awesome that you can catch yourself, the running, jumping, and climbing in SotC is rediculesly fluid, whether on inanimate objects or living ones).

Man I loved that horse, that was the coolest horse.

Breakdown is just an innovative first person shooter. Everything in that game is done in first person, anytime you look down you see your legs, anytime you interact with objects you see and use your hands. It also has first person eating, puking, punching, kicking, cartwheeling, climbing and even driving, which actually looks really cool. Too bad that game is so hardcore, it's so annoyingly hard.

Anyways, I don't really think Resistance is that interesting. It just put all of its power into things like particle effects, and textures. The gameplay is mostly unoriginal and it just borrows aspects from other games to make a solid first person shooter.
Of course, it's not bad or anything, it just didn't use its processing power for anything wildly different.
The really innovative projects only took up after about 2 years since the system's launch, I bet we'll see interesting things much sooner this generation though.

The_Spelunker

Post by The_Spelunker » Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:40 am

Zantalos wrote:
David wrote:This is true for the other consoles as well to some extent; if PS3 and 360 developers actually start using that processing power in interesting ways, instead of just attempting greater and greater graphical realism, we will see some really interesting projects.
Resistance is a good example of using it's processing power. But next year awaits multiple possiblities.

I think good examples would be more like Shadow of the Colossus and Breakdown.
Penny Arcade comic of Shadow of the Colossus
SotC didn't just throw in some high resolution textures, and shaders to make it look great, it put in real effects like motion blur and complex animations. No matter what you were standing on, even little things like turtles, your feet would always be firmly planted on the ground and your standing stances were fully dynamic. And it's the only game I know where the laws of inertia actually apply, you actually keep your velocity going if you decide to let go while the Colossi are shaking you around. It's awesome, you go flying (it's also awesome that you can catch yourself, the running, jumping, and climbing in SotC is rediculesly fluid, whether on inanimate objects or living ones).

Man I loved that horse, that was the coolest horse.

Breakdown is just an innovative first person shooter. Everything in that game is done in first person, anytime you look down you see your legs, anytime you interact with objects you see and use your hands. It also has first person eating, puking, punching, kicking, cartwheeling, climbing and even driving, which actually looks really cool. Too bad that game is so hardcore, it's so annoyingly hard.

Anyways, I don't really think Resistance is that interesting. It just put all of its power into things like particle effects, and textures. The gameplay is mostly unoriginal and it just borrows aspects from other games to make a solid first person shooter.
Of course, it's not bad or anything, it just didn't use its processing power for anything wildly different.
The really innovative projects only took up after about 2 years since the system's launch, I bet we'll see interesting things much sooner this generation though.
Shadow of the Colossus is awsome. Okami is also creative. If you want really creative, just look at Guitar Hero! I have Guitar Hero II, and it has Free Bird!

As for PC games, they don't have to be creative, they just have to be moddable :)
Half Life 2 has so many mods, and a few are very creative such as Garry's Mod.

Fournine
.hacker

Post by Fournine » Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:29 pm

My friends and I played on our RA's Wii for most of Friday night; majority of it was all in Wii Sports, and a good round of 5-player old-school Bomberman.

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:02 pm

Why is it i think of some Mother Sized burger when i hear the words Shadow of the Colossus? :?

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:34 pm

Colicedus wrote:Why is it i think of some Mother Sized burger when i hear the words Shadow of the Colossus? :?
Because you've been watching TV, you're hungry, and you saw some advertisements on TV that use words like "huge", "jumbo", "collassal", "extra large", and "the motherload" to describe food.

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:38 pm

I don't watch TV, my mom forbids it... :roll:
The Shadow of the Colossal burger... eh? BRB, ill may send something into Random Images... :lol:

pyros soul

Post by pyros soul » Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:02 pm

Colicedus wrote:I don't watch TV, my mom forbids it... :roll:
The Shadow of the Colossal burger... eh? BRB, ill may send something into Random Images... :lol:
I bet your friends get on your ass about not watching T.V.

Of course,I'm assuming you have the internet, so it's all good.

LOL! Now im hungry and it's 10:00 at night as i type.

DAMN IT I WANT SOME FOOD!

EDIT: 240th post! W00t!

wormguy

Post by wormguy » Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:35 pm

I want Guitar Hero to be made for Wii. That would work, wouldn't it?

Lugaruman100
The wolfire forum member with no title.

Post by Lugaruman100 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:17 am

Colicedus wrote:Why is it i think of some Mother Sized burger when i hear the words Shadow of the Colossus? :?
You'd think the opposite if you've played the game.

invertin

Post by invertin » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:36 am

Lugaruman100 wrote:
The opposite of a gigantic burger....
So shadow of the colossus makes you think of tiny little salads?

Lugaruman100
The wolfire forum member with no title.

Post by Lugaruman100 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:28 pm

invertin wrote:
Lugaruman100 wrote:
The opposite of a gigantic burger....
So shadow of the colossus makes you think of tiny little salads?
Opposite of food.

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:29 pm

Uh? wouldn't that be crap? :?

Fournine
.hacker

Post by Fournine » Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:09 pm

No, crap is food that's gone through a transformative process (digestion) through your body.

Food's base nature is its nutrition and energy-giving value, essential to life.
The opposite would then be poisons and toxins.

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:12 pm

I thought crap was Poisons and Toxins that your body dose not need that comes from your food, or am i thinking of Piss?

anyway... are you saying Shadow of the colossal is a bunch of Toxic Garbage? :|