Overgrowth - Random Idea Dumping Thread

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Albab
This title is part one ...

Post by Albab » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:31 am

The only kind of person I would kill without him/her trying to kill me would be a nazi. The kind of person that would hate others to that degree for skin colour/background/anything else, really deserves to die. Slowly. And that really is bullshit, you know? About not thinking that the nazis were to blame because they didn't want to go against Hitler... The fact that they were capable of it in the first place is revolting. ...But I digress.

There should be nazi bunnies or something similar in L2, since if this game is going to be as realistic-like as it seems like, I'll feel bad killing anything else. Hell, I almost got that in fable. You know, you run into a town, about to kill everyone, and then you see them hug each other or something, and you think "Oooh, I can't do it." and sheathe your sword... Yeah, that's how I feel. :cry:
I spend waaay too much time finding reasons to feel guilty...

invertin

Post by invertin » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:34 am

Albab wrote:in fable. You know, you run into a town, about to kill everyone, and then you see them hug each other or something, and you think "Oooh, I can't do it." and sheathe your sword... Yeah, that's how I feel. :cry:
I spend waaay too much time finding reasons to feel guilty...
I don't do that, I just kill them faster and with fire :twisted:

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:29 am

I find it easy to Kill anything absentmindedly. It is pretty simple. Wether it be a Pixel based life form, to a life form in this world.

The feeling of guilt is a feeling people are addicted to, like blood thirst, and Revenge. Some peoples spirits are feed off it. Computer games can be a healthy way of getting rid of that hunger if kept in check.

invertin

Post by invertin » Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:31 pm

I don't get guilt when killing AI's. They're only game characters. I think I shoud stop killing AI's in games though, because in the shops today someone came round the corner and my first thought was "Get out the pistol! Kill her!"

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:39 pm

Game Characters have a soul i believe. In the sense that Some one took time and energy into creating something, we give it is owen soul. a pet Rock has a soul in this sense. Some New aged Spiritualists believe that anything with a soul is technically living. a Zombi is not living because it has no soul, it left its body. the body is just a Hermit Crab's (soul) empty shell.

There 4 I believe that some (not all) computer game Characters have a soul.

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:38 pm

Why only some? You said that if somebody puts time and energy into creating something then that creation has a soul.

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:09 pm

Some people Put time, but no energy on a character, just trying to Get games out onto shelves.

zatoichi

Post by zatoichi » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:00 pm

I don't believe in souls. and especially not for computer game characters.

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:13 pm

Fair enough, but What is your Definition of a soul?

tallyl.iii

Post by tallyl.iii » Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:07 pm

He just said he specifically does not believe in souls, and I agree to some extent but it really depends on one's definition of a soul. By the way you are talking about them, though, I will say I do not believe they exist but agree that I think the AI of better games really do represent a facet of their programmer's personality.

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:11 pm

Technically, AI characters don't have a soul, they have a personality, which may or may not imitate a soul very well.

leDoOd
What custom title?

Post by leDoOd » Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:25 pm

If there's no such thing as a soul, then how come the brain doesn't know about itself? How come you have to learn through someone else's research how your heart beats, how your intestines work, how to build up an immune response, and all the natural stuff that happens without us knowing it? There's obviously something in between our body and how we we see, do, and act upon specific things. So yes, I believe in souls.

Anyways, back on topic.

How about if there are crowd dynamics, then Turner could do stuff like use people as shields, use them as hostages, or steal their clothes when they're asleep and impersonate them while your enemies kill the hapless person, thinking it's you?
Last edited by leDoOd on Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:13 pm

leDoOd wrote:If there's no such thing as a soul, then how come the brain doesn't know about itself? How come you have to learn through someone else's research how your heart beats, how your intestines work, how to build up an immune response, and all the natural stuff that happens without us knowing it? There's obviously something in between our body and how we we see, do, and act upon specific things. So yes, I believe in souls.
Have you taken a biology class before? These things are no longer a mystery and can easily be explained through science without resorting to the super natural.

leDoOd
What custom title?

Post by leDoOd » Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:19 pm

Well, yeah, but my point is if there's no soul, you'd know about this stuff from the moment you're born and you wouldn't have to learn how everything works while it's working.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:54 pm

So your definition of a soul is the ignorance of biology?