Additions to Lugaru 2-Airborne Attacks

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
»StaffShock«

Additions to Lugaru 2-Airborne Attacks

Post by »StaffShock« » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:13 pm

I'm not quite sure why it took me so long to think of this...

Air attacks were the one thing that felt lacking. All you could really do was land on a guy. Maybe if there were a way to control your jumping height (I mean like rather than high or super high, hop or normal jump.) You could hop and do a flying kick, or jump really high and do a knee of death. (If T gets fat, body slam!) It would open up all sorts of new possibilities for attacks. If rabbits can jump high, I think they should be able to use that height.

Gotta cut the post short for now, but I might add more on later.
Last edited by »StaffShock« on Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Usagi
Screenshot Superhero

Post by Usagi » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:38 pm

One of my favorite attacks is jumping off the upper block in L10 and landing on the white bunny below.

I've gotten to the point where I can hit him on any side of the block; the best is to catch him just as he rounds the far corner. Death From Above!

Almost every time I do this, I wish I could glide into him: drop like a falcon to pick up speed, then level out and hit him with a Cannon Leg right in the kidneys: Flying Spine Snapper!

If squirrels can glide, why not bunnies?

NickD
Charlotte Brontë

Post by NickD » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:09 pm

Because there's no such thing as a flying bunny, though there is a flying squirrel :P duh. Anyways... weren't we talking about this in the random idea dumping thread? But yes, air attacks would be a very good feature in Lugaru 2, but the idea of different types of jumps would complicate the game-play which is not a Lugaru thing :D . That's why Lugaru is so cool. Because it has easy moves to execute while the game's still really fun.

GaGrin

Post by GaGrin » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:51 pm

Can't you already control jump height?

I've fairly sure you have to hold the space bar to get full height - if you tap it or hold it for less time you don't jump as high.

Can't remember if thats right but it sounds right - i'll go check!

Edit:
Yes. Yes you can.

wormguy

Post by wormguy » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:13 pm

We're talking about executing air attacks.

i.e. kicking people while jumping or something. That's an addition I would like to see.

Usagi
Screenshot Superhero

Post by Usagi » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:19 pm

NickD wrote:...there's no such thing as a flying bunny...
Or an anthropomorphic kung-fu killer bunny.

So, I want a Gliding Anthropomorphic Kung-Fu Killer Bunny.

He might look like this:

wormguy wrote:We're talking about executing air attacks.

i.e. kicking people while jumping or something. That's an addition I would like to see.
I'd like to see it too, but I don't consider that an air attack. It's just like a wall kick or something.

NickD
Charlotte Brontë

Post by NickD » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:14 pm

OMFG! I's a square with a red X through it!!!11!11one :P You might want to update that :D ...

Usagi
Screenshot Superhero

Post by Usagi » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:39 pm

The picture comes through fine for me. Anybody else having problems?

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:43 pm

Hmm, I see it fine on firefox.

There definitely needs to be a stronger damage ratio with "death from above." But I don't know about just jumping and doing an air attack. If it was like a leg cannon that would be cool, but just jumping and doing something like a wall kick might be kind of cheap. Though it might be just really easy to counter though since it's easy to pull people out of the air. If they can be balanced right, I think it would be really cool.

Death from above with a sword equiped should mean landing on the guy with the sword, skewering him or something.

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:21 pm

Or Maybe that Born again Chainsaw wielding maniac's attack in one of my posts I toped in the Randomness thread.
the attack name would be called maybe

-Suck my (*Spinning) steel shit head
-Rebirth
-Im Born Again

* If moves are done with chainsaw :twisted:

marmorek

Post by marmorek » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:15 pm

NickD wrote:Because there's no such thing as a flying bunny, though there is a flying squirrel :P duh
Let's add flying squirrels to the game then.

GaGrin

Post by GaGrin » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:49 pm

So long there is some kind of dodge/counter for every move I don't see any good reason not to have something like this make it into the game.

Wire-fu FTW! :D

NickD
Charlotte Brontë

Post by NickD » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:24 pm

Obviously flying bunnies will never happen, but the airborne attacks are just what L2 needs. There actually is a way to control the jump height (as GaGrin states), although it's not quite efficient.

Usagi
Screenshot Superhero

Post by Usagi » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:21 am

All joking aside, I think a gliding component would be an excellent addition.

Not as a built-in ability, but as an object based upgrade at some time in the game.

Imagine for instance a fort or keep or walled city with nearby towering mountains or cliffs. It must be infiltrated in order to accomplish an objective, but the guards are too alert and the defenses impenetrable.

T goes up a hill to observe and ponder and finds something that give him a dangerous idea. Perhaps a huge tree with giant seed cases similar to a sycamore, maple or basswood, with a thin, fragile, wing structure.

Bunnies are too heavy to actually fly, but practice shows the seeds allow gliding, but only at a very steep glide angle, only for a relatively short linear distance (because of the angle), and with minimal control over direction and speed, and no real brakes.

So, picking his target and take-off spots carefully (maybe a limb of the giant tree), and aiming for a survivably soft landing by choosing a hay stack, or maybe a group of guards, T leaps into the air for a spectacular night insertion behind enemy lines.

If he's chosen well, aimed perfectly, and timed it exactly, he crashes into an isolated group of guards, killing some, stunning others, and barely surviving to complete his mission.

If he muffs it, he crashes into the wall or the center of the fort, dying in the attempt or waking to find himself captive.

I'd love a little mission like this. No AAKFKBs*, just a clever and dangerous solution to a particular problem.

*Air-borne Kung-Fu Killer Bunnies

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:45 am

That's a little ambitious for just one kind of use, don't you think?

I said this before, but I want ropes! Maybe like the kind in Battlefield 2: Special Forces.

Or maybe ariel attacks could be just jump and then (insert attack in relation to enemy), Like in Super Smash Bros. I mean, it might be kind of cheap like the wall kick, but if there could be an easy counter or dodge to every attack like Gagrin said, well then it could easily be balanced.