Overgrowth - Random Idea Dumping Thread

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
David
Project Leader

Post by David » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:06 am

L2 will probably not have grappling hooks, but it might be in some other project. If there are climbing accessories in L2, they will probably be more like gloves, spikes or shin-guards. Turner can jump about as far as he could throw a rope, so a grappling hook wouldn't be very useful.

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:08 am

you'll notice i did say that lol i said that! I SAID THAT! lmao

invertin

Post by invertin » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:22 pm

Knuckle spikes and shinspikes would be fun.

Makrond

Post by Makrond » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:39 am

Hehe... dual purpose...

*Climb, climb climb* "Oh no, an enemy..." *Stab*... *Climb, climb, climb...*

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:37 am

*meh
Last edited by Count Roland on Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:53 am

Oh, I dunno, maybe you could attach a light to a model to make it look like it's illuminated? Like, y'know, the same way lightbulbs usually have lights attached to them to make it look like they're actually glowing… :roll:

marmorek

A few more random ideas ...

Post by marmorek » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:35 am

Grappling - Not the hooks, the fighting moves! Judo/Jujitsu/Aikido-style moves, including:

Grabs - Grab an arm, leg, head, neck, piece of clothing or even ear to control opponent. These could also lead into Locks/breaks/bars - Wrist locks, arm breaks, pressure points, submission holds and the like.

Takedowns - Trips, sweeps, throws, tackles, whatever. Just as many ways to get your opponent onto the ground as possible (not just reversals). Throwing your opponent off a cliff would also be nice.

There should be some sort of system for fighting on the ground. I don't like having to wait for opponents to get up before I hit them again.

Flexible Weapons - Whips (mentioned above), chains, flails, garrotte wires, etc.

iTunes Integration - Has this been mentioned already? The ability to play/pause and skip tracks within the game would be sweet. Or, you could just make it so you could pause and Command-Tab out of Lugaru to change music.

Snowballs - You have snowy levels already, so this would be a natural progression. :) They could be used for distractions or for an awesome multiplayer mode. Maybe add unlockable sled/skis/snowboard for additional speed/fun.

Hawks - The hardest enemy of all. Run, hide or be foolish and try to use ranged weaponry. Maybe even ride a friendly bird for an epic in-air fight.

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:04 am

Grappling is definitely something I would like to expand on a lot in L2, so you can expect to see some of what you mentioned there :) I would also like to add functionality for custom soundtracks for all my games, but I am not sure if it will be with iTunes specifically (maybe on Mac). Related to snowballs, I think it would be cool if you could use the ground in general as a weapon; kicking up sand or dirt or snow or throwing rocks. I am not sure if that will be in L2, but it might be.

Chainsaw man

Post by Chainsaw man » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:17 am

A partical could touch the Avatars eye vertexes or what ever, temporaraly Bluring his visson for a deadly few seconds, similar like the Flash bang in CS:S

You got Concussion effects in prity well, so why not muck the screen up with dust and crap getting into T's eyes?

invertin

Post by invertin » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:34 am

IDEA
THAT
CAME
TO
MIND

I dunno if it's hard to implement, but it would be hard to define..

Basically- If an enemy tries something and it doesn't work, it'll try something else.

The problems with putting this in- How to you define "not working"? How do you make artificial creativity?

It's a good idea I think. A good example of where this would work in other games is in Metroid fusion, there's a certain area where SA-X can't reach you but can still see you and will just keep jumping up and down trying to get you.

It would realize that it cannot reach you and would remember not to try jumping at you right now. Then it would try another solution- Like standing back and shooting you.

marmorek

Post by marmorek » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:18 pm

I think game companies have been attempting to implement that for years. Most of them have failed.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:23 pm

I suppose a simple solution would be to build in a timer so that the AI has a limited amount of time to try something before moving on or a counter so that the AI will try only try one thing a certain number of times.

invertin

Post by invertin » Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:14 am

It would be exploitable, but it would take some time. Like I said before, AI can't be truly creative, it has to go to another idea that was preprogrammed into it.

So eventually you could trick the AI so all of it's options have failed and it gives up.

Wait. That would be good. They would run away because they're scared of you because you manage to dodge all that.

Ok that's even better.

Chainsaw man

Post by Chainsaw man » Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:48 am

Eather that or surender.

invertin

Post by invertin » Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:59 am

It would be hard as hell to get crossbow guys to give up. They're not taking any damage at the range I'm imagining and there's no way anyone can dodge as many arrows as I'm imagining they have.

But I might be imagining wrong and they might just have one arrow and be a few steps away.