Lugaru 2 Editing (what should we expect)

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Makrond

Post by Makrond » Wed May 14, 2008 5:11 am

Yeah, I was looking at the story of how Blender came to be, it's really funny, actually. I just love that the original proprietary Blender had no GUI and had to be done completely with keyboard controls.

marmorek

Post by marmorek » Wed May 14, 2008 8:44 pm

Blender seems complicated at this point, but I'll probably get better at it eventually. That's the nice thing about Sketchup, you can learn it super-quickly.

Makrond

Post by Makrond » Fri May 16, 2008 8:41 pm

Yeah, but as rudel said, Sketchup is so disgustingly simple that it doesn't even count as a 3D modelling program. Or maybe I said that, in my head.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Fri May 16, 2008 10:04 pm

There's nothing wrong with SketchUp, it's just more geared towards architecture and symmetric modeling.

Some features are pretty damn great, I have to say. There are ways to do things in SketchUp that blender doesn't get right at all.

But it lacks in the organic modeling department and there are crucial features missing in the free version.

Still, if I want to make an animation rendering, SketchUp is the wrong choice.

You always want to choose the software that involves a minimum amount of compromises. Making game assets with SketchUp is insanely uncomfortable. It's the opposite with blender.

SketchUp still has its place in the market though. It's good for drafts and meshups.

I wouldn't use blender for other tasks in the field, so it's not like it is the ultimate software. Just as an example, there is no CAD support in blender. But when you're making game assets, you can't go wrong with it.

Maya, Cinema4D and 3DSMax still have the edge concerning features. But they aren't free, so it's not really a competition.

I'm thankful there's a choice nowadays. 10 years ago, you either used Milkshape or pirated 3DSMax.

Makrond

Post by Makrond » Sat May 17, 2008 1:02 am

Then there's Rhino3D - from what I've seen (and without doing any significant research) it's like an ultimate crossover between a CAD program and a super-advanced version of Blender.

But it's insanely expensive (more expensive than Maya) and I don't think there's a free trial version, so it doesn't really factor into this discussion.

Funkdude

What texture format are you using?

Post by Funkdude » Sat May 17, 2008 5:24 am

Will it be easy to make texture mods? are you using a custom file format for the textures? (that would make it harder) doe all surfaces feature parallax/bumpmapping? what other effects are you using? (self illumination? refraction shaders for water? that kinda stuff :) )

awesome work so far, you're really taking it to the next level :D

Nuky
Plutonium Handler

Post by Nuky » Sun May 18, 2008 7:56 am

All this talk about simply replace tiles to create a different environment the L1 way... Doesn't sound much like a/the L2 solution to me(?). =P

rakyth

Post by rakyth » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:35 am

rudel_ic wrote:There's nothing wrong with SketchUp, it's just more geared towards architecture and symmetric modeling.

Some features are pretty damn great, I have to say. There are ways to do things in SketchUp that blender doesn't get right at all.

SketchUp still has its place in the market though. It's good for drafts and meshups.
1st part of quote:
If so, it could be a tad bit easier. I tried to make a building with an inside, and the tutorials/help file it comes with doesn't tell you. At all.
2nd part of quote:
...No offense, I haven't really learned enough about SketchUp...Mainly because for some odd reason, it always took me to the 3d model library when I tried to get to the help file.
3rd part of quote:
...No, not really, I honestly think there are way better programs out there..

(I've used a better one, I made a complete 2 story house in less then a half hour with my first time with the thing)