Slightly worried about my sanity

Anything else
invertin

Slightly worried about my sanity

Post by invertin » Sat May 17, 2008 8:17 pm

This is not a joke. I keep hearing things, not voices, just...

Ok. My mobile phone is basically my alarmaclock. The tune I've got is so loud and so annoying that it wakes me up every morning, no trouble. Problem is, every time I'm in a room without any other noise (or one very quiet noise like the hum of a laptop or a computer) then I begin to hear that stupid alarm.

It's not like I can hear it in my head either, if my phone did go off downstairs, right now I wouldn't be able to tell whether I was imagining it or not.

I'm not insane, not yet. I just think that there is something wrong with my head when I can't tell whether my alarm is going off or not.

The weird part is that in complete silence it's silent, but when I'm making noise- I.E tappitytappytaptaptyping then I can hear it.

I'm rambling now.

[/rambling]

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Sat May 17, 2008 8:22 pm

Maybe you should change your alarm tune.

I think that is fairly normal habituation; I occasionally think that my phone is vibrating when it isn't.

Makrond

Post by Makrond » Sat May 17, 2008 9:07 pm

I keep thinking my phone vibrates every 30 seconds when it's in my pocket. I don't know why.

Anyway, yeah, it's just normal. I sometimes think I can hear my cat meowing when he's nowhere near the house. It's only ever when I'm playing a game though.

invertin

Post by invertin » Sat May 17, 2008 9:16 pm

Oh phew.

The only other tune I've got is this little dance thing which is even MORE annoying and too quiet to wake me up. I think that'll just speed up the insanity.

And waking up to linkin park won't really help.

Just glad to know it's normal.

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Sat May 17, 2008 10:04 pm

Oddly enough, it seems as if people who question their sanity are almost always completely sane, as if you're insane, you wouldn't question your sanity in the same way you wouldn't question F*ckinGreatHoolesInTehGround appearing all the time while dreaming…

P.S: Yes, I meant to say "Hooles".

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Sat May 17, 2008 10:25 pm

It could be a sign for a hearing disorder. Do you listen to loud music a lot? Do you work in a noisy environment? Do you live at an intersection / near a subway / ...?

Maybe you can find a room with absolute silence, at a university or a recording studio. You could try out going into one of these without your phone.

You could also get an examination scheduled at an otolaryngologist (otorhinolaryngologist) after talking to a general practitioner.

Makrond

Post by Makrond » Sun May 18, 2008 4:03 am

Or ear, nose and throat doctor, for those of us who are a little less Latin.

invertin

Post by invertin » Sun May 18, 2008 6:15 am

It's not THAT serious. I listen to music, yes, and sometimes it's loud but most of the time I actually have no sound around me at all. It's a quiet street.

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Sun May 18, 2008 6:25 am

Generally loud noise makes you deaf, not makes you hear ringtones… Well, it might make your ears… Ring? Oh, come on. Don't try and be funny…

invertin

Post by invertin » Sun May 18, 2008 7:30 am

BunnyWithStick wrote:Oddly enough, it seems as if people who question their sanity are almost always completely sane, as if you're insane, you wouldn't question your sanity in the same way you wouldn't question F*ckinGreatHoolesInTehGround appearing all the time while dreaming
Ah, but the only way to know what it's like to be insane is to be insane, and of course they can't tell anyone what it's like because they are insane!

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sun May 18, 2008 8:28 am

Sometimes if I sit in silence and think of sounds I think I'm actually hearing them too. I know you said it wasn't a case of hearing things in your head, but sometimes thinking of sounds and hearing them in your head, you end up thinking you're actually hearing them...or that's what it's like for me anyway. Maybe I have very imaginative ears. Yes, I know that makes no sense.

Nuky
Plutonium Handler

Post by Nuky » Sun May 18, 2008 10:35 am

Hearing things is like seeing things, only you hear instead of see.

But isn't your conception of insane a little stereotypical?

Viking Zippy
Wooter

Post by Viking Zippy » Sun May 18, 2008 11:17 am

invertin wrote:
BunnyWithStick wrote:Oddly enough, it seems as if people who question their sanity are almost always completely sane, as if you're insane, you wouldn't question your sanity in the same way you wouldn't question F*ckinGreatHoolesInTehGround appearing all the time while dreaming
Ah, but the only way to know what it's like to be insane is to be insane, and of course they can't tell anyone what it's like because they are insane!
BWS is right; I went insane because of some medications I was on, and let me tell you, when you're insane, you think you have all the answers, and that you're the one person on the planet that can solve anything and everything.

So yeah, if you're questioning your sanity, great chances are you're not there yet ... it's when you "know" whatever it is the insanity is telling you to be the absolute and undeniable truth, you should be worried.
Last edited by Viking Zippy on Sun May 18, 2008 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Sun May 18, 2008 11:37 am

I'm a drummer and I can tell you, you can hear weird shit when your ears say goodbye to certain tones.

You can hear thunder.
You can hear bells.
You can hear whispering.
You can hear singing.
You can hear tibetan monks chanting.
You can hear footsteps.

This goes on and on and on. You can even hear drumming, which is sad and ironic for a drummer. Kind of sarcastic.

If his ringtone is some melody with a wide scale, then it's most likely not a hearing disorder.

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Sun May 18, 2008 12:34 pm

Viking Zippy wrote:Zantalos is right
Yeah, but Zantalos just happens to have not said anything in the entire thread.

(Pwned.)

Oh, and insanity is a state of mind. (Lol!)