Macs vs. PCs

Anything else
Gramage

Post by Gramage » Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:23 am

I'll admit I don't know much about windows anymore, having not used a windows OS since my (very underfunded) computer graphics class (hell, we were using 3 year old Dells with windows 98...). I go by what I see. I see a single virus causing millions of dollars in damage. I see blatantly obvious holes in windows that a moron could exploit (people could put viruses in JPEGs for craps sake, and IE would let em go to work without question). I see my iMac, wich hasn't had a systemwide crash in two years (and I use this thing daily). I see the number of real viruses for Mac OS X, which is exactly one (and you have to install it yourself and give it an admin password or it won't work!).

As for games, Mac has Halo (Halo 2 at some point), the quake series, Starcraft, Warcraft, Wolfire's games, and a myriad of others that I don't play. I don't WANT 7000 crappy games with a few gems, I just want the gems :D

Flickta

Post by Flickta » Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:38 pm

Gramage wrote: As for games, Mac has Halo (Halo 2 at some point), the quake series, Starcraft, Warcraft, Wolfire's games, and a myriad of others that I don't play. I don't WANT 7000 crappy games with a few gems, I just want the gems :D
As a Mac-faithful person, who has to deal with PC's (especially PC games) I must say that it's total bs. There are more great games on the PC side. Macintosh is still an awful choice for gamers.
And you are speaking about the "gems"... :x

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:42 pm

I must also agree with flickta. Macs are not gaming machines, I prefer them for general use but for gaming PCs are cheaper and have much more selection. Macs get *some* of the highlights, PCs get them all, but you have to sort through the crap first.

Gramage

Post by Gramage » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:13 pm

Flickta wrote:
Gramage wrote: As for games, Mac has Halo (Halo 2 at some point), the quake series, Starcraft, Warcraft, Wolfire's games, and a myriad of others that I don't play. I don't WANT 7000 crappy games with a few gems, I just want the gems :D
As a Mac-faithful person, who has to deal with PC's (especially PC games) I must say that it's total bs. There are more great games on the PC side. Macintosh is still an awful choice for gamers.
And you are speaking about the "gems"... :x
Well, you've hit the nail on the head. Mac = fun tool. PC = pure toy. :D

DudetheCreator

Post by DudetheCreator » Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:13 pm

All work and no play make jack a dull boy.

Mac = work
Pc = play

Having both is always good.

The Spoon

Post by The Spoon » Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:28 am

Meh, as long as it's a mac, David's comp type is the way to go.

DudetheCreator

Post by DudetheCreator » Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:54 pm

I think the main problem with a pc is viruses. If you get every single filter, read e-mail from only people you know, never visit any internet sites that aren't know and reputed to be trustworthy and never download anything, then you should be ok.

Nayr
wicked bad-ass title

Post by Nayr » Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:06 pm

Also, Windows is just plain unreliable. Since 10.1, my machine has NEVER crashed. macs are the MOST reliable (with the exception of Unix, which Mac OS X is built on) machines out there. I believe Mac OS X's main problems, which a virus could use, is the sudo command. (also, you can take over a computer if you put in the first Mac OS X install disk, and boot it up on that. you can reset the admin password that way). On the XPs we use at school, I changed the passwords to the administrator just by going to Users and Passwords. Talk about bad security. :twisted:

DudetheCreator

Post by DudetheCreator » Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:29 pm

lol, using ssh at my school it reset peoples passwords, make fake diaries, put incriminating files in their folders, I guess i'm just an evil sort of person

Shadowfury333

Post by Shadowfury333 » Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:31 pm

Nayr wrote: I believe Mac OS X's main problems, which a virus could use, is the sudo command.
nope, I have thought of this, but then I found out that sudo requires a password.

btw to destroy a UNIX system

Code: Select all

cd /
sude rm -r *
you will need to type in the root password after typing this in.

DudetheCreator

Post by DudetheCreator » Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:35 pm

lol, on Mac os X there is a command that just wipes everything. Absolutely everything. All gone. I think that may be it, but for some reason I don't remember the rm being there... :?

DudetheCreator

Post by DudetheCreator » Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:37 pm

I made a simple "havoc reaking" script that makes folders over and over with names like "privateSystembit" so that ppl don't want to delete them.

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:34 am

rm -f *.* will erase all directories and files down from your current location.
Fdisk will format your disk.
I don't see how a virus could realy use the sudo command, as it needs your password to use it, and if it has your passsword..

almondblight

Post by almondblight » Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:06 pm

Nayr wrote:Also, Windows is just plain unreliable. Since 10.1, my machine has NEVER crashed.
My mac (OSX 10.3.7) randomly crashes frequently (like once every week or two). I'm beginning to suspect there might be something seriously wrong with it.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:10 pm

My PC never crashes.