MMO/Multiplayer version for Overgrowth?

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Glabbit

Re: MMO/Multiplayer version for Overgrowth?

Post by Glabbit » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:16 pm

Ozymandias wrote:I would hope that there is some modability to the game, that way multiplayer scenarios/campaigns could be made easily. I sort of doubt Turner would appear in Multiplayer, and yes I do hope that online (or offline) you get to customize your rabbit (or in the case of many species, character(s))

(off topic: character customization isn't on topic... but maybe once you beat the singelplayer game once you can do it again with the 'character' you made for challenge levels/online...)
Seconded. Woah, that's epic! =D

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:21 pm

The idea is unrealistic in all fairness now. You'd have to cripple a lot of the game dynamics to make it an MMO in the action fighting style that Overgrowth is going to be in. Or at least I think you do, because I imagine that with so many people playing on the one server there has to be limits to how complex you can make the gameplay. Things like lag etc. would also screw up the whole reverse/counter system. On your screen you pressed shift in time but in actuality you're lagging and the other person has killed you. lolz

I think it's a nice thought, as in an MMO would be nice but NOT an MMORPG. It's just not going to happen.

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:34 am

We are still thinking about what multiplayer options we would like to pursue. The initial Overgrowth game will focus on singleplayer, but if we can get solid multiplayer code in time then I would like to include co-op and deathmatch. It would be cool to make a massively multiplayer game, but we don't have the resources to do anything like that yet.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:46 am

Co-op is a pretty big priority.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:14 am

Thanks guys, that's great news!
Awwww I can't wait! =D

resin

Post by resin » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:28 am

Sounds like you have priorities straight.
A good single-player game needs to come before a good multi-player.
It's nice to see that you are interested in MMO's, even if its not there yet, maybe for Lugaru 3 :wink: ?

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:45 am

resin wrote:Sounds like you have priorities straight.
A good single-player game needs to come before a good multi-player.
It's nice to see that you are interested in MMO's, even if its not there yet, maybe for Lugaru 3 :wink: ?
Shhh, don't get them worked about about that just yet x3

ChazFox
XD

Post by ChazFox » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:53 pm

I'd rather have small-scale multiplayer than MMO for Overgrowth.

Co-Operative between 2-4 players would definitely be cool (Possibly even 2-4 player Edit mode, so you and some friends can collaborate on a level.)

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:37 pm

ChazFox wrote:I'd rather have small-scale multiplayer than MMO for Overgrowth.

Co-Operative between 2-4 players would definitely be cool (Possibly even 2-4 player Edit mode, so you and some friends can collaborate on a level.)
This is the second time I've brought up LittleBIGPlanet... and within 10 minutes, too! (I'm too obsessed)

Anyways, I would love to have a good singleplayer, and afterwards have a good level editor of some sort so that we can keep ourselves occupied. I'm not sure what you mean when you say
The initial Overgrowth game will focus on singleplayer, but if we can get solid multiplayer code in time then I would like to include co-op and deathmatch.
but to me it sounds like the game would initially release with singleplayer only, and then later be released (in a patch) with a multiplayer option..?

ChazFox
XD

Post by ChazFox » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:46 pm

Ozymandias wrote:This is the second time I've brought up LittleBIGPlanet... and within 10 minutes, too! (I'm too obsessed)
Now that's just downright creepy. I had been thinking of LBP when I made that suggestion. :shock: I was going to point out that LBP was gonna do it, but wasn't quite sure how that might go down with other forum-goers. :D

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:52 pm

*shrug* I've seen people mention other games before. Just as long as it doesn't turn into an all-out discussion about it (off topic).

Like right now... I don't have anything to say about the multiplayer for Overgrowth right now, so I'm just going to end the post here.

wormguy

Post by wormguy » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:05 pm

Jeff wrote:Co-op is a pretty big priority.
I am very pleased to hear this.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:24 pm

I'm also very pleased to hear it, considering how amazing 4-player co-op is in Halo 3 etc. Co-op in Halo 3 gets me sexually excited.

invertin

Post by invertin » Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:14 pm

I remember there was this Half Life 2 mod called Zombie Master, where one player had an RTS style control over an army of zombies and the rest were just survivors, the survivors had to complete a set of objectives depending on the level.

I'd love co-op similar to that. It would be brilliant for one player to just activate traps and sent armies of rats or wolves at the oncoming players. And the players grab weapons while fighting off the armies going "GET THE FRICKEN KEY RUN RUN RUNRUNRUNRUNRUN"

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:50 pm

invertin wrote:I remember there was this Half Life 2 mod called Zombie Master, where one player had an RTS style control over an army of zombies and the rest were just survivors, the survivors had to complete a set of objectives depending on the level.
Sounds like Left 4 Dead.

Except the "one player" in Left 4 Dead is "The Director".