A New Campaign!

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
Jendraz

Re: A New Campaign!

Post by Jendraz » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:50 am

I was reading one of David's interviews (linked from the Overgrowth Wiki) and I saw this:

"The Lugaru editor is very powerful; none of the levels are hardcoded in any way. It can handle dialogue, event triggers, clothes, and npc setup. However, the user interface is essentially non-existant, so I doubt anyone would actually be able to figure it out and create their own campaign."

He wasn't counting on Silb :)

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:03 am

Hahah, nice.

Silb
Master cartographer

Post by Silb » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:27 pm

Aw, shucks.
8)

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:46 pm

All hail Killer rabbit, long time user, and generally Official win: Sillllllllllllllllllbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb! *gasps for air and falls backwards into a river*

EDITINORDERNOTTODOUBLEPOST:

HOLEY WOAH!
I just went through this one again, and hell, the last way I did the last level was alarious! :lol:

After flattening and slaying the first wabbit and nicking his knife, I proceeded to taunt the second and third bunnies. MISTAKE MADE: The wolves followed, too! OHSHI- I walked a bit too far, I guess.
Well, at a certain point, I got stuck in their group and they got hold of my knife. I managed to escape and fled with a long jump onto the next part of the * sign.

They all 'lost track' of me, apart from one wolf, who I had easily with my sword, which I still had sheathed all that time (lucky me).

Looking back to the two-rabbits-and-wolf, I saw the hoppers losing their footing somehow and falling away into the abyss... taking my knife with them. Noes!
Boldy I jumped straight at the wolf and attacked. Punch. Crack. Wolf reverses. OHSHI-
I was falling down at high speed, right in between the ledges of the *.

*flip*
*walljump*
No! The wrong direction!
There's little more to go...
*flip*
*walljump*
Success!
At the very last metre I managed to make a successful walljump into the centre of the *, making an easy but lengthy climb back up to proceed to kick wolf butt.

*clobber*

One more to go!
I pick up my sword, and make a cinematic hulk-like jump over the fire and straight on top of the final Turner guy. *swordclash*
*clang*
*disarm*
Haha! He lost his weapon!
*attack*
Yike, reversal! In the direction of the fire, thankfully.
*recover*
*charge in*
*reverse his attack*
He still has sword...
*picks up own sword*
Then, he slashes, me, clicking to attack, MY BUNNERS DOES A SLIDING BACK EVASION!
*falls into the abyss*
Ack.
Not good.
*drop*
*flip*
I was thinking: Maayyybe I can pull it off again.
Just maybe I can keep going...
*character loses air control, ragdolls around, drops sword*
Noe!
*flip*
*jump*
Halleluja! I caught a good direction of walljump on the very edge.
This fall had cost me my sword. But that wasn't to stop me!
*jump... jump... jump...*
Took ages to get back up.. but when I did...!
*reverses his attack*
And while he flailed about, I ran up and stuck my sword in his belly as he lay there... SLAIN!
What a magnificent feeling that was...
I really could imagine him thinking 'right! I've won! he's down, and I'm still here! OSHITHE'SCOMINGBACKUPAGAINWTH *die*'

Ahh, that was a fun game... ^-^

Lotus Wolf

Post by Lotus Wolf » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:05 pm

Strangely i understood all that. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: That is hilarious!! nice job man :P

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:05 am

Hurrah, my mixed and mangled magic worked =D

Lotus Wolf

Post by Lotus Wolf » Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:18 am

:lol: yep yep

Derakon

Post by Derakon » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:50 pm

Man, how in blazes do you do Canyon on Insane? The first four rabbits are trivial, but I haven't found a way to pull enemies away from the second group, so I always end up fighting them all together, and trying to fight a wolf when anything else is going on at all is suicidal.

I got through by using the wolfieisgod cheat, and even then it took me several tries!

Thrain

Post by Thrain » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:45 pm

Temple is a tough campaign, as the read-me points out. Canyon isn't the hardest level. All Hail Silb!

But, assuming you have the necessary skills to do the appropriate moves, Canyon can be straight-forward.

First, run straight towards the talking guards, dodge slightly right at the first corner and leg cannon them. One will die, you'll bounce back to the wall (unless you didn't dodge right enough, in which case you bounce too far back) and the other guard will get up groggy.

Jump over and wall-kick him, then trot down to the sleeper and the sitter. The sitter will stand up and watch as you kick the sleeper to sleep forever; then dispatch the sitter as you see fit. You should never have problems with one or two enemies (or more) with so many walls around; just jump, flip, wall-kick until dead.

Alternately, you can run and leg-cannon the sitter as he stands, then dispatch the sleeper, who wakes from the noise of his buddy's body slamming into the wall.

Then I usually mouse-jump to the top of the wall, but you can climb the pile on the right if you prefer. Either way, leap to the top left edge of the upper level; the two sitters will run towards you, and the walking wolf will attack.

Stay at this end to avoid waking the sleeping wolf. Also, make sure you finish the rabbits: if they get hurt enough, they'll wake her up (yes, it's a female wolf; don't ask me how I know; she just is).

Again, wall-jumps, flips and wall-kicks will serve you well. The wolf usually ends up falling or jumping down, but if you maneuver the two rabbits towards the edge, then wall-kick them off, they will usually die from the impact at the bottom. Then you can jump down and deal with the wolf below; it doesn't hurt to drop right on him for a Death From Above as a starter.

Again, I suggest wall-kicks, although a wolf will learn that trick and start ducking pretty quickly. Next is the wall-jump behind and leg-cannon forward onto the wall trick. Finally, leg-sweeps into a corner followed by standing behind and punching as he stands up and kicking if he tries to roll away will work well enough. Just be sure to block if you end up facing off against him.

Then you can go back upstairs and deal with the sleeping princess. Don't bother kissing her; she is unusually susceptible to spine-crushing. I've killed her hundreds of times this way: you don't even have to sneak - just run up and attack as she stands: Spine-Crusher!

If you are afraid to go to the top and deal with 3 enemies at once; try this: kick and toss-punch the 4 bodies into the right-hand corner of the big wall leading to the upper level, then crouch among them and rapidly toss-punch one after the other into the wall.

The commotion will attract the two rabbits (but not the wolf); they'll come and stand at the edge, and if you keep it up, one and then the other will drop down to attack you. Take 'em one at a time or practice your Two-Enemy Wall-Kick Fury attack.

See, Canyon isn't that hard after all. Probably one of my favorite levels.

Derakon

Post by Derakon » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:13 pm

Heh. Thanks for the detailed guide, Thrain. I have to wonder what you think is harder, though!

(Granted, I did accidentally beat the Throne Room level by flinging everyone, including myself, into open space. Apparently if you're the last to die from impact you still get to clear the level)

I hadn't read about Mouse Jump. Looks interesting.

Thrain

Post by Thrain » Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:55 pm

I think Snowy Fields Night is harder. I prefer less open areas, or levels where I can run wild VidMaster style.

Derakon

Post by Derakon » Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:58 pm

Hm. My playstyle relies heavily on stealth, or where that's not possible, picking enemies off one after another. In the case of Snow Fields Night, which IIRC is the one where you have about two seconds to kill each enemy before the next shows up, I ended up saying "Bugger this for a lark", hiding until everyone was hanging out in the middle area, and then pulling them off and killing them one by one. Pretty straightforward.

Lotus Wolf

Post by Lotus Wolf » Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:37 pm

the only way to get really good is to practice, and the best way (that i use) to practice is to engage multiple enemies at once.

DI_LAN

Post by DI_LAN » Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:51 am

lol @ Glabbit

Very sweet campaign.

The part where the wolves ambush you was very good. I was killed sooo many times there. I honestly don't know how I managed to beat it, as I often lose fighting a single wolf without a sword or staff.

Throne room was ridiculous as well. I can't tell you how many times I got reversed or dodged or kicked off the edge. I finally beat it out of pure luck; I rabbit kicked one of the wolves as I was running in right into the evil rabbit king, killing them both. Then it was easy pie taking down the remaining one with the sword.

Also I somehow managed. perhaps by fluke, to sweep the ice cave with only a couple tries. I landed on top of the first rabbit, took his knife, and booted him off the edge. Ran up and threw the knife at the next nearest rabbit, who opted to dodge and take the long fall. The next rabbit at least tried to put up a fight but was dispatched by a spinning back kick that sent him on the long downward journey. Now comes the good part: both wolves with one rabbit kick, into the fire. Rofl. The final bunny probably guessed the jig was up after seeing that ludicrous feat. He dropped his weapon on approximately the second blow and was felled by a nice slash across the chest.

It doesn't top Glabbit's story, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Congrats on an awesome campaign, Silb.

eyeCube

Post by eyeCube » Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:57 pm

Nice campaign, and it adds to the replayability of the game. Nice job! I haven't beaten it yet, as I always play in insane mode, but it's still really fun.