Minor concerns regarding marketing...

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
ChazFox
XD

Minor concerns regarding marketing...

Post by ChazFox » Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:55 pm

After having looked at the blogs for a while, it struck me that Wolfire seem to be doing a lot to attract new players to Overgrowth, most recently offering free copies of Lugaru to those who preorder the game. As well as this, they have been recruiting people to take part in Overt Ops, offering free copies of Overgrowth.

While this is a great marketing strategy to attract new players to the Wolfire scene, as well as getting good grassroots support, I'm not seeing a lot done to make equally worthwhile offers/rewards to those players who have stuck with the series since the days of Lugaru. For instance, some of us already have Lugaru, so we don't get as much out of the "Free Lugaru with an Overgrowth Preorder" offer. And some of the folks who agreed to help with Overt Ops already preordered Overgrowth when preorders first came out, making the "Free Overgrowth" offer a moot point.

Does anyone agree with this? If so, does anyone have any ideas as to how Wolfire could reward its long-time fans and supporters, while retaining their ability to entice new players to the Wolfire scene?

~Chaz

Jeff
Evil Twin

Re: Minor concerns regarding marketing...

Post by Jeff » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:25 pm

Hey, you know us -- we're not EA or some other massive corporation. If you ever feel unhappy or would like some flexibility in your Overt Ops present, just talk to us. We're here for you virtually 24/7. :) Just let us know what we can do.

For the free Lugaru offer, the idea is for Lugaru fans to share it with their friends this holiday season, not to make our fans sad that they supported David back in the day.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:45 pm

I think you tried to say this politely, but I still think it comes across as a bit cheeky. They don't exactly have a lot of money. There's a lot of people who've been supporting Wolfire a lot longer than you. You've been here on the forums, what, a year and a half? I've been here over three years. I'm not complaining, BWS has been here ages, Grayswandir has been here ages, Coli has been here ages. None of us are complaining. I think I'd rather give them my money as incentive for them to focus on the game rather than expect them to distract themselves with gift promotions for their long-term fans. You did express your concerns politely though, so that's mature of you, but I still think they were out of place. I'd rather they just worked on the game than worry about us. They've got a lot on their hands. Maybe after Overgrowth is actually released and stuff, they can think about bonuses and extra content and stuff, but for now let's not put too much on their plate.

ChazFox
XD

Post by ChazFox » Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:25 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote: Maybe after Overgrowth is actually released and stuff, they can think about bonuses and extra content and stuff, but for now let's not put too much on their plate.
Firstly, thanks for understanding where I was trying to come from. ^^ I realise now that it might have sounded a bit cheeky, hence my hesitation to post the thread in the first place. (Nothing ventured nothing gained, I guess. :D)

I've quoted that particular part of your post because that does sound like where I was trying to come from, in a way. After the release of Overgrowth, certainly introducing bonuses and suchlike would be a good idea.

Secondly, the first post was written with me having made the assumption that the free copies of Lugaru were being handed out to those who preordered Overgrowth as a reward for preordering, rather than being handed out freely to everyone so that they can get an idea of what Wolfire has done so far. Jeff has corrected me on this in his reply to this thread, so thanks for clearing that up. ^^

However, I feel the Overt Ops present concern still stands. The concern there was that Overgrowth was being handed out for free to those who decided to volunteer to help raise global awareness about the game, which, given some Overt Ops have already preordered OG, means that that particular present is worthless to those people.

However, Jeff mentioned in his previous post that we can feel free to ask them about other possibilities regarding said present, so that's been sorted out too. ^^ Thanks again, Jeff and Co.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:20 pm

Haha, a problem that was resolved with polite discussion for once. :lol:

Hal1989

Post by Hal1989 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:03 am

Hehehe X3

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:24 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:Haha, a problem that was resolved with polite discussion for once. :lol:
heh
i've been here running on 4 years and i'm still not complaining
i just can't preorder yet...cuz i'm broke til christmas
=P

and you've gotta love what polite discussion can do for ya
=D

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:15 pm

Hal1989 wrote:Image

Hehehe X3
xD
Good find, right there.

ChazFox
XD

Post by ChazFox » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:08 pm

Hal1989 wrote:Image

Hehehe X3
Yay achievement ^^ And as a matter of fact, Glabbit, that was basically a custom achievement thing. You can do it with any kind of text.

Hal1989

Post by Hal1989 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:12 pm

He already know it, lol X3

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:42 pm

tekn04

Post by tekn04 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:12 pm

Chainsaw man

Post by Chainsaw man » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:32 am

nutcracker

Post by nutcracker » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:54 am

Stop unlocking achievements!

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:21 pm