Google "hacking"?

Anything else
Untadaike

Google "hacking"?

Post by Untadaike » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:48 pm

Why is Google so insecure? It's so f***ing simple to find indexes of hosted music, that on "the next site over", you have to pay money for. (I don't participate in this).

If Google can view so many sites, chances are that if you put something on the web, even on a secure site, blah blah blah, it will be on a Google index page, easily accessible by searching for the right terms.

As you can tell, I don't know what I'm talking about. So is there someone wise in the ways of Google and internet content that would explain to me why it's possible to access pages of files that have been "ripped" off peoples blogs, file hosting sites, and even YouTube?

???

Thanks in advance.

Skofo

Re: Google "hacking"?

Post by Skofo » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:48 pm

It's so nice seeing people discover that you can find anything on the internet.

As for why Google links to these pages: it's not illegal to.

Untadaike

Post by Untadaike » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:53 am

Ok, ok, I just think it's hilarious that it's so screwed up like that. We just have to focus on our success, and follow the old Chinese(yes, I'm very prejudiced against Chinese people) proverb "Do not tell of your mission until you complete it": my mission: to get someone to waste there time by replying to this. Outcome: (click here)

eyeCube

Post by eyeCube » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:30 am

... I'm Chinese.

No just kidding :p

BlackHole

Post by BlackHole » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:18 am

Ahh... the miracles of the Internet.

But the main reason is because most people don't know anything can be found on the internet, so they upload anything without knowing that anyone can find it.

It's one Selffulfilling prophecy! 8)

- Black
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

TheBigCheese

Post by TheBigCheese » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:54 pm

Any of sites that upload files to their server that can be found with Google are total idiots. First off, you can easily add a simple robots.txt file wiith a few lines to prevent the Google Bot from even accessing any of the website.

Secondly, if you upload files to a secure server (where you can't just type in the url of the file to view it) no one, not even the Google Bot, can access them. It's completely blocked.

Spartan X
please can i have a title soon?

Post by Spartan X » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:31 am

eyeCube wrote:... I'm Chinese.

No just kidding :p
Don't the chinese control what people can and cant see on google? for example, teyumin square? i cant spell it, but if you search it on chinese google, nothing comes up.

invertin

Post by invertin » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:18 am

Probably because you can't spell it. :roll:

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:50 am

invertin wrote:Probably because you can't spell it. :roll:
He meant Tiananmen square, and he'd probably have to write it in pictograms any way. He is right. Wikipedia has several pages that describe censorship in China, with article names such as Google China or Internet Censorship in People's Republic of China. There are non-wiki sites such as http://opennet.net/ that provide less editable information. As an example, access to sites such as Google, Facebook, Youtube, Blogspot, Wikipedia and many other sites have been, or still are, either restricted in some way or all-out blocked.

The online news sources are often blocked because something big is happening (e.g. the uprising in Xinjiang, between Chinese muslims and the Han), and the government decides you're better off only knowing the official news. :?

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:48 pm

The Chinese don't have Newgrounds =O
Probably better that way, too >>

invertin

Post by invertin » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:18 pm

I wonder if Wolfire would be considered legal by chinese standards...

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:44 pm

invertin wrote:I wonder if Wolfire would be considered legal by chinese standards...
Citizen: Wolfire legal?!
Chinese FCC-type official: I not know. Me check now.
Citizen: OK. Keep me up to date.
Official: Too much blood! Talk about genitals! No Wolfire for China!

=P

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:11 am

invertin wrote:I wonder if Wolfire would be considered legal by chinese standards...
Probably, unless there will be skeletons. Skeletons are a big no-no, it got a WoW expansion (the lich king one) blocked.

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:01 am

Endoperez wrote:
Probably, unless there will be skeletons. Skeletons are a big no-no, it got a WoW expansion (the lich king one) blocked.
Doesn't normal WoW have skeletons?

tokage

Post by tokage » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:29 am

I think with china and censorship you are mixing two things up too much. First and foremost internet access in china is pretty centralized, meaning there are few providers and those providers can control what sites you can access by making technical changes to the underlying infrastructure of the net. That doesn't have anything to do with google. Google is just a search engine. If you know the URL you don't need google. But there are filtering methods that censor the internet and prohibit access even when you know the URL(get a link from somewhere), namely DNS poisoning, mandatory proxy servers and deep packet inspection.
Added to that is that google and other major search engines comply to government demands and also filter the search results. For China you can see that when you search for falun gong on http://baidu.cn/ (a chinese search engine more popular than google in china).

BTW google result filtering is not limited to china, it is also standard in western countries, e.g. here in Germany, where results for games and movies indexed because of extreme violence are excluded.

Also, don't think China is the only one censoring the internet. Of course there is Iran, which was all over the news recently, also other Middle East countries like Yemen. Then a lot of European countries too, Italy, Germany, Switzerland, Belgium and the Netherlands, the Scandinavian countries Sweden, Norway, Denmark and Finland, who all use DNS poisoning and Great Britain which uses a hybrid between DNS poisoning and proxies. There are also legislation proposals for the European Union to unify these national attempts. And there should be other western countries too, that I didn't hear of.
See wikipedia for a map and further information.

What I did hear of was Australia, where recent discussions lead to censoring web sites with the topic of games rated unappropriate for under 15-year-olds.
Here some google results for the topic. And that can very well affect this website and forums as well, when you think about it.