Lady Gaga?

Anything else
zip
lugaruguru

Lady Gaga?

Post by zip » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:25 pm

I'm guessing that you've all heard some of her music (seeing as it's obscenely popular atm, but if you haven't... here's an example), so what the the Wolfire denizens think of her?
Personally, I think she's pretty awesome and I'm glad that she's gone from obscurity to incredible fame so quickly. No, her music is nothing particularly special, but it's catchy and gets the job done (i.e. you can dance to it).
But I like her because she's so absurd and different from most of the other ladies who enjoy similar fame right now, and... actually, she's incredibly geeky. I mean really, have you seen the stuff she wears? It's the same ridiculous self-made clothing hat she wore before she was famous, which is pretty cool if you ask me. Her "dancing", also, is hysterical. She's an ex-stripper, so occasionally she'll pull off some kind of midair grind. Most of the time though, she seems to just mock the whole arrangement by doing geeky, awkward, ohcrapi'minamusicvideo? *flail* dancing.
Anyway, that's my take on Gaga... what are your thoughts? Ugly? Sexy? Geeky? Chic? Original? More of the same mainstream crap?

Kestril

Re: Lady Gaga?

Post by Kestril » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:35 pm

More of the same mainstream crap
Yup.

It's not that I don't like her music. I've got nothing against it, but it also has nothing for it in my opinion. Inevitably the stuff gets overplayed, sucked into the mainstream, and has thousands of googly eyed fangirls defending her at any cost. Her music is overplayed and annoying. To me.

nutcracker

Post by nutcracker » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:04 am

Kestril wins

invertin

Post by invertin » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:56 am

zoidberg rules

Post by zoidberg rules » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:23 am

i barely even laughed a that parody, its so crap i cant believe it!

but except for that, i think she's quite good, although, in ways, i agre with kestril, it has been made very mainsteam

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:37 am

A couple of the songs are catchy. I find her rather obnoxious, particularly in interviews. I don't find her attractive. Her fringe is weird, makes her look like a Lego person. I find it funny how in her performances she actually screams some lyrics like she's in a really bad hardcore punk band. Her music is pretty run of the mill electro-dance. I find her popularity rather distressing in respect of other dance acts with far more talent but far less popularity.

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:40 am

Regarding the music:
I am entirely unable to discern any difference between her music and regular pop music.

Regarding the singer:
No idea. I had not heard about her before reading this thread.

Spartan X
please can i have a title soon?

Post by Spartan X » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:25 pm

Lady gaga's music is my guilty pleasure. Enough said.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:03 pm

I like one line from one of her songs. "And baby when it's love if it's not rough it isn't fun." Seems pretty apt. Generally unfulfilling music, though.

Dudeman

Post by Dudeman » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:27 pm

Shes a whore who can sing, sort of.

Lotus Wolf

Post by Lotus Wolf » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:54 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:I find her rather obnoxious
Me too.
Zhukov wrote:Regarding the music:
I am entirely unable to discern any difference between her music and regular pop music.
Me neither.
Dudeman wrote:Shes a whore who can sing, sort of.
I agree.

Her song "poker face", I think it was, is the worst failed attempt at music I've ever heard. My 3 year old cousin can sing better!

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:04 pm

I sincerely doubt that.

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:28 pm

Well... it took longer than I expected for somebody to call her a whore. Of course, how dare she sing about enjoying sex ^_^
But yeah, her music is rather unfulfilling, or to be more accurate.. shallow :p Sometimes though, that's exactly what you want to hear. Potato chips for your ears ;)

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:11 pm

I agree that sometimes that is exactly what you want to hear, although there are acts who do it a lot better than Lady Gaga.

She's too gimmicky. Now I'm not saying that she's the only person with a gimmick, Seasick Steve has his hobo gimmick, Maynard James Keenan has his "Look how crazy I am, I'm humping a guy on stage" gimmick, etc. etc. However, Lady Gaga pushes it over the line with her pseudo-artistic outfits and burlesque performances.

I mean, stage personas are one thing, but this girl is just trying to do everything differently for the sake of being different.

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:28 pm

Don't bother with her regular act. She killed on the AOL Sessions with her "acoustic" version of Poker Face.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxhyoOX_um8